Casual rec camera - TG-Trigger, FDR-X3000, Osmo Action?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blasto

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for an attachable video camera for casual "press REC and forget" filming, in situations when there's no time or attention resource to fiddle with a handheld camera. The video would generally not be edited except for start/end trimming.

Serious cameras are not an option for this. Has to be cheap, light, low maintenance.
I've excluded liquidimage masks for poor video quality and battery life.
The Paralenz epitomizes the idea of a "fire and forget" camera, but it's crazy expensive for what it is, and I've heard lots of feedback about reliability issues, which are hard to fix given how niche it is. Not completely excluded.
That narrows the choice down to these three:

1) DJI Osmo Action. Like a Hero 7, but with a screen. Has video stabilization. Little choice of cases, but the camera itself is water resistant if one leaks.
2) FDR-X3000. Has video stabilization, weak manual depth color compensation. There is a case, but no water resistance on the naked camera.
3) Olympus TG-Trigger, the video brother of the TG-5. Automatic depth color compensation, display, no case required up to 30m. Concerns are that integrated seals aren't as reliable as cases, and it's not stabilized. But it's also the cheapest.

Any thoughts on what would be best suited for the job? I'm not sure how important or effective stabilization is going to be in a practical underwater scenario.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom