Case for Halycon 9/18 Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smb1014

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am not sure if this post goes in this section. But since a lot of DIR divers use the Halcyon 9/18 watt HID light I want to know what kind of case you guys/gals use to transport the 9/18w light, canister and charger. I will be doing some diving in the tropics later this year and I am worried about the air travel. I would like to keep the size of the case as small as I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is a big light, and the case has to be big enough that it won't put too much stress or bend on the cord glands. I have a storm case that I have used, I can look up the exact model when I get home if you want. But, I also found it just as easy to pack in my carry-on (wrapped in something like a towel) where I could make sure that nothing would happen to it.

Jasonmh:
But, I also found it just as easy to pack in my carry-on (wrapped in something like a towel) where I could make sure that nothing would happen to it.

I recommend the same method. I like to carry it on, along with my regs. Then you know it makes it on the plane with you; the battery looks real suspicious and draws in TSA:11: . I've found the pelican case is too heavy and bulky for air travel.

Take care,
Chris

Some of my customers use the pelican 1500 or 1400, I think. I use a Salvo light and just leave it attached to my backplate and throw it in my dive bag.

Brent

Canisters, batteries, chargers, etc go in my check in baggage. I use hardsided luggage for check in. Pelicans and UK cases are just too damn heavy with the weight restrictions.

Lightheads go in my carryon.

smb1014:
I am not sure if this post goes in this section. But since a lot of DIR divers use the Halcyon 9/18 watt HID light I want to know what kind of case you guys/gals use to transport the 9/18w light, canister and charger. I will be doing some diving in the tropics later this year and I am worried about the air travel. I would like to keep the size of the case as small as I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck, the guy who sells the Photon Torpedo lights, can make you a cannister lid that keeps the battery from moving around. (These are one off items he built for me and a few people so I don't know if he is interested in selling these. But, it wouldn't hurt to ask.) This allows you to just toss the cannister in your dive bag. For the NiMH cannisters an alternative to the blank lids is to pull a thick sock over it (i.e. what I wear in my drysuit) to keep the battery from moving around. The head and lid can be put in a small pelican box or carried on. Checking HID bulbs is slightly risky but carrying on this stuff slows you down at security. I tend to alternate depending on how much room for weight I have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom