Trip Report Casa del Mar & Jungle Divers (again) May 10-17, '22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I really only have a few new things to add to previous trip reports - but they're important (in my opinion).

We did the meal plan at Casa del Mar, with very low expectations, and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of food. The molletes and heuvos motuleños for breakfast were really good (the flan was not). There was a shrimp and rice dish on the dinner menu that we both liked a lot. There are 4 items on the menu that there is an upcharge for - they are seafood or beef items (I'm sorry I don't remember exactly what they were). Also, I ordered a Black Label and coke one night and found out the Black Label was not included on the meal plan. When he told me I said "ok, just whiskey and coke" but it got lost in translation and I paid for it - twice.

We did go to Ernesto's one night and I believe the prices have been steadily increasing and we noticed it this time - food is still good though.

Beds at Casa del Mar are still hard (no surprise) and we were glad we brought our blow up camp mattresses again. We stayed in a cabana again - the regular rooms are really too small for our comfort. The cabanas have two levels and two bathrooms, as well as a two burner stove, microwave, fridge, sink, coffee maker and toaster (and we didn't use any of that). One of the benefits to the cabana is that you can hang your gear up inside, turn on the overhead fan and everything is bone dry by morning.

I was super, super excited to get a shot of a mantis shrimp!!! I saw it skittering across the top edge of the reef and go into a hole, then watched to see where it came out. It didn't come out far before it started to go back down again, but I was lucky to get off a couple of shots before it quite literally turned tail and ran (got a shot of the beautiful colors of the tail too). That was at Tormentos (sp?). The seahorse was at Tikila.

One day we only did a single shore dive so we decided to get our 2 mile walk in. From CDM to the car ferry (north) it is exactly one mile. :)
34782508-F9C4-4AE6-BBAE-1FA1A44734E1_1_105_c.jpeg
24C21DFB-F24D-4E71-8345-6D78F9FCCFC2_1_105_c.jpeg
D647F43C-C219-431E-B773-BE332F1F3431_1_105_c.jpeg
2F852FB4-5AE7-418C-AC28-12B534767906_1_201_a.jpeg

American Airlines - no complaints about AA. Used Verifly and things went flawlessly.

Unfortunately, on our flight from MIA to STL we got diverted to Chicago because of bad weather and because we ran low of fuel circling, waiting for a clearing to land. While at Chicago (O'Hare) a woman on the filght had a seizure - and for a bit we didn't know if we'd be staying over in Chicago or going on to STL. She was cleared by the EMS crew that boarded to check her out (she had a lifelong seizure disorder and was otherwise ok) and we made it home about 4 hours later than planned, but safely.

Hat's off to the AA crew and fellow passengers. Nobody lost their minds and I didn't even hear any grumbling (other than in my own head).

Love the mantis shot; needs the caption 'What'chu look'in at?!?!?' Appreciate the practical details in your reports; they should help people planning to stay where you did. Planners can't think of or ask about everything in advance, but the more they know going in, the smoother their transition into their vacation will be.

Richard.

Great eye locating the seahorse and that BEAUTIFUL shrimp!!! Thanks for sharing your info on CDM.

Great eye locating the seahorse and that BEAUTIFUL shrimp!!! Thanks for sharing your info on CDM.
My husband found the seahorse - gotta give him the credit - but I'll take it on the mantis. I'm still thrilled at my luck!!

Roger got a couple of shots of a baby octopus that are just wonderful. The only problem is that NOBODY would be able to tell it's a baby octopus because it is SO well camouflaged. In one pic it looks like green algae and in the next it looks like black coral! The only thing giving it away is the eyeball. I wonder how many critters I've stared at and simply didn't see?

For the money and ease of travel, you really can't beat Cozumel diving.

For the money and ease of travel, you really can't beat Cozumel diving.
AMEN! I really miss all those critters underwater, and the restaurants, and the people!!!!

As always, love your photos. I love that shrimp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom