Carter 10'DSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

auto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So... after diving in some rough chop and trying to deploy SMB and reel in big current and seas, I went with what the locals seemed to be using. Manta Jr. Reel and Carter SMB. I am more than happy with the reel, but the 10' Carter seems huge, but incredibly well built. I have trips to Cozy/Jupiter/Maldives coming up so I am keeping the 10' which seems to be overkill. My question, will the 10' with 50Lbs of lift drag you towards the surface? Did not get a chance to ask the locals. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, it has enough lift to pull you up. If shooting from depth less gas in required to inflate it as the gas will expand while rising.

Yes, it has enough lift to pull you up. If shooting from depth less gas in required to inflate it as the gas will expand while rising.

THanks. So less gas in deeper will lessen the drag up but still expand, and once to the surface, there will not be an effect is what I am reading.

Just an opinion cause I think it's great that divers carry any SMB to deploy from depth.
10 ft is gonna be tough to have it stand up in rough waves and it will be laying down most of the the time. I drive a dive boat and when it's even 3-5 ft seas at a mile away it's very tough to spot an SMB that's laying flat between roller waves. Again, I'll see it eventually but I'm scanning 360 and trying to get that timing exact when your SMB is at the top of a wave or hidden in a trough is the difference of 5/10/15 minutes in a pickup.

IMHO, you want an SMB that you can shoot from depth (@SStop) and be able to put enough force on the line to make it stand up for 30 - 60 seconds continously so when I'm scanning I'll see it standing straight up. I love big SMB's but if they lay flat on the surface the whole time instead of vertical, it's going to take ALOT longer to find you and pick you up. I love Carter's also and dive with a custom SMB Jim made for us at 8 inch diameter and 65 inches tall. It has the best balance of wide, not too tall and easy to hold vertical while on SStop. Our backup SMB's are all the Diver's Alert Network SMB's. A little thinner, not as meaty, but a great easy to spot and hold vertical SMB.

Your reel choice is excellent. For my type of diving I use an eyebolt and 30ft of line that I can drop if I have a shark problem.

2colorSMB.jpg

THanks. So less gas in deeper will lessen the drag up but still expand, and once to the surface, there will not be an effect is what I am reading.
As the gas continues to expand the amount of lift will continue to increase. At 33'/10m it would need to be inflated at least halfway to be fully inflated at the surface. At 66'/20m it would need to be at least 1/3 inflated, etc. As it rises and the gas expands the amount of 'drag' up will continge to increase until it hits the surface. If you are learning to shoot a bag from depth a smaller one would be much easier and safer to learn with. A SMB of that size really is better inflated at the surface.

Thanks guys.... The advice has been greatly appreciated and exactly what I needed.

Thanks Johnoly. You’ve taught this old dog a new trick. I think that your idea of using an eyebolt & 30’ of line rolled up inside of your marker is exceedingly clever. Just rummaged around the house and found everything I need except the top swivel and clip to replicate your rigging system. I might replace the clip that you use with a heftier bolt snap should I wish to have my marker provide a bit of lift. I’ll still carry a reel, but deduce that your system will be more than adequate for the vast majority of instances when I’ll wish to deploy an SMB on open circuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom