Carrying a Spare Mask. Do you or Don't you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's pretty hard to see underwater without one. You just have to look at your dive and decide whether or not you can get to the surface more or less blind.

You've ruled out technical dives, but every dive I do is one - involves deco - and I can't see any gauges, handsets, etc., without a mask. So, I carry one on every dive. It's the same type mask that I wear on my face. I put it in a neoprene sock and slip it in my drysuit leg pocket.

*shrugs* I carry a spare mask in my pocket. I have loaned it out a couple of times.

Without a mask it is painful to open your eyes to cold water, and I am a cold water diver.

I had a mask knocked off by a wave during night exit once, so I have a different solution: a leash. I got the idea from Kevin Lee an underwater photographer who does a lot of shore diving.

I drilled a small hole in the frame of the mask and tether the mask with a bungee cord to a clip which is attached to a D Ring. It's an better solution than carrying an extra mask.

Here's a link to Kevin's mask leash, which I modified to use bungee cord.

http://www.diverkevin.com/DIYGearTi...-tips/21125007_BTMjC8#!i=1680400495&k=xNt3rZq

No for most dives if there not going to be complicated (wall dive or not very deep) but yes if there's going to be any swim through's or the chance that I would need to be able to see what I'am doing to get out of the water

I've seen several posts on here where people mention carrying an extra mask in a pocket. ...//... what about for regular OW dives? ...//...

Good question, easy way to test: Do one of your 'bigger' dives and at the midpoint remove your mask and put it on your arm. If you surface with an "all is well" attitude and the mask still on your arm, then no, you don't really need a backup.

I dive a Shearwater computer. I'm pretty sure I could read the numbers even without a mask (I'll look next dive). I'm certain I could make it out of the cave without a mask.

I dive a Shearwater computer. I'm pretty sure I could read the numbers even without a mask (I'll look next dive). I'm certain I could make it out of the cave without a mask.

I would hope so considering it is part of our training, and you are the one doing the training! :)

Most posters have said it all, but for me as a recreational diver only I bring an extra mask and strap and leave in boat bag or car.
I've never needed it, but have had buddies who broke a strap or forgot to bring their mask.

Back
Top Bottom