• Welcome to ScubaBoard


  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Carrying a Spare Mask. Do you or Don't you?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by Tfast78, May 7, 2012.

  1. Pullmyfinger

    Pullmyfinger PADI Pro

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Guam.
    2,280
    744
    I have for the past few years. Once I put pockets on my wetsuit, I always carried one. I never needed it except for practice with buddies, but I just always carried one anyway.
     
  2. graham_s

    graham_s ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Location: Al Khobar, Ash Sharqiyah, Saudi Arabia, Saudi Arab
    187
    61
    Yes and No.
    I have one in my boat bag, but I don't take it into the water with me.
    I've seen too many masks broken by carelessly dropped weightbelts and cylinders.
    Saves losing a dive.
     
  3. Brewski

    Brewski Instructor, Scuba

    # of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Location: Alaska / Florida / In the air between the two.
    2,351
    14
    When I'm in my drysuit I carry one in my leg pocket, otherwise Its left on the boat. but the spare mask always makes the trip.
     
  4. Divin'Hoosier

    Divin'Hoosier Solo Diver

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Bonita Springs, FL
    4,580
    296
    Cold water dives (which are most of the dives I do) ... always. Easy, recreational, warm water dives ... usually I don't.
     
  5. RICHinNC

    RICHinNC Solo Diver

    3,183
    15
    Not fun losing a mask at depth. Spare mask in a pocket all the time....and sorry....it isnt to be loaned.
     
  6. buddhasummer

    buddhasummer Bat sh.t crazy

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Nanny State
    12,171
    4,664
    I only OW rec dive, I do carry a spare mask in my dive bag but do not carry it on the dive.
     
  7. Divin'Hoosier

    Divin'Hoosier Solo Diver

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Bonita Springs, FL
    4,580
    296
    To clarify ... I ALWAYS have a 2nd mask with me ON EVERY TRIP. The question (I thought) was whether I have it on me during the dive. Regardless of the trip, near or far, boat or shore, I always have a 2nd mask with me either in my dive bag (boat) or in my vehicle (shore). More often than not, I actually dive with it. It easily fits in a pocket. I also have a Dive Rite mask pocket I can put on my harness strap. I have my 2nd mask with me on 90% of my dives. For the other 10%, it's on the boat or in my vehicle.
     
  8. Zung

    Zung Contributor

    # of Dives: 500 - 999
    Location: Geneva, Switzerland
    1,651
    298
    I'm shortsighted, and I have corrective masks. I always take a spare on a trip. I never take it down.

    Once in Baja, a surge took my mask (on the forehead), and at that time, my spare didn't have optical lenses. I went diving with it nevertheless. Then, out in the blue, a massive object zipped by me. After it's gone, I turned to my wife and did the shark sign, and she said no.

    Back on the boat, she said it was a swordfish.

    The only time in my life I saw one, I didn't SEE it!!!
     
  9. cbm32

    cbm32 Contributor

    # of Dives: 500 - 999
    Location: I am bi-coastal. Michigan and SoCal
    911
    359
    I do OW rec dives only and use a mask with prescription lenses. Always have a spare with me on dive trips but it stays in the room.
     

Share This Page