Carrying a Spare Mask. Do you or Don't you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did for my Advanced Wreck Diver course, but never since.

For me it is just risk weighting. The odds of needing it are very small. If I did ever need it, I am sure I would sorely regret it, but I am pretty certain I could get out of a jam without it. I think the risk is small enough that I won't bulk out my gear by making room to carry a spare mask. If I dived in a (bulky) drysuit, I might take a different view, but I keep my gear pretty streamlined.

I carry one for cave dives, and for tech dives, and for surf entries (which is the only place I have ever lost a mask). I no longer carry one for local recreational dives. I have lost a mask precisely twice in six years and 1000 dives -- one was backrolling off a boat for the first time, when I was a new diver, and the other was getting rolled in the surf on entry at Laguna Beach. I have also practiced mask-off work underwater a TON, since I had a lot of trouble with controlling my buoyancy and position without a visual reference. I know I can easily abort and dive and do an ascent with the assistance of a buddy, even with my eyes closed.

I don't always carry one. Always on a tech dive, but maybe no, maybe so on a quarry dive. I really should always have one, but I don't.

I've seen several posts on here where people mention carrying an extra mask in a pocket. I could understand it if I were on a technical dive or something like that but what about for regular OW dives? I would think that if there any type of equipment failure that dive would be over until corrections were made. I've never lost my mask or even had it come off while diving (I have been fin kicked in the face a few times).

I'll carry one if I need to be able to see to get out. Scooter rides, deco stuff, thinks like that. I shove it in the bottom of my pocket and pretty much forget about it till the dive is over. For an OW dive? Never.

I'll carry one if I need to be able to see to get out. Scooter rides, deco stuff, thinks like that. I shove it in the bottom of my pocket and pretty much forget about it till the dive is over. For an OW dive? Never.

Is there a favorite these days for easy storage/peformance?

I've been using a Scubapro Frameless (or the cheaper scubamax version, which I like a little better) or a Cressi SuperOcchio, but I shoved a Halcyon dual lens mask in my pocket last Sunday and it was fine. That one fits the best, so I'll probably use it from now on.

Is there a favorite these days for easy storage/peformance?

The mask in my pocket is the same as the one on my face - Atomic Frameless. Folds perfectly flat, performs perfectly flawlessly.

Great infohere. Pleasant shallower dives where visibility for a safe assent are not issues I'mgood with leaving the spare mask and strap in my bag on the boat. When I divewhere visibility for a safe assent is required I'll stuff one in my shortspocket.

Thanks for all the insight and feel free to keep the info coming

:anonymous2:

I've been told the spare mask all about calculating your Deco obligations and having to see your timers/slate or computer. In theory you should be able to surface at any time during an OW recreational dive.

One cool sounding military trick, as yet I haven't tried it, but i will, is to create an air bubble in your eye socket with your head facing down. Looking through this you can read your instruments.

I think the shape of your head would have a lot to do with whether this would work.

I always have a spare on the boat, I have never carried one on a dive...

Many years ago I had a strap break during a dive, but it was easy enough to cut my dive short and snorkel in on my back...

Cheers,
Roger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom