Question Carry-On Baggage Weight Limit in FP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACHiPo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Air Tahiti Nui limits carry on weight to 11 lbs. I think my reg, BCD, fins, etc. weigh more than that. Will I have a problem carrying on dive gear?

Thanks!

Yeah.

Maybe regs and primary mask only, in your bag. Get a decent scale, and stay 3# under the limit. Most airport scales read high.

Just found this:
1683395038717.jpg

nothing on weight, though. I suppose worst case “gate checking” everything except my reg would be ok When boarding the island hopper?

Put your first stage in your pocket, along with lights etc.

Remember air Tahiti nui and air Tahiti are different airlines.

Air Tahiti nui allows you to Check your scuba equipment for free

Air Tahiti allows for 5kg of diving equipment in your checked bag, and it appears that a check bag is included with most tickets.

My wife and I traveled to Tahiti and bora bora in 2016 and IIRC I never had to pay to check my scuba equipment.

I don’t want to check. I want to carry on my scuba gear, but it will exceed the 5 kg weight limit. I’m flying United so no issue getting to/from PPT with whatever weight carry on. It’s only the island hopper that’s in question.

I don’t want to check. I want to carry on my scuba gear, but it will exceed the 5 kg weight limit. I’m flying United so no issue getting to/from PPT with whatever weight carry on. It’s only the island hopper that’s in question.

I understand the desire to not check a bag. You may not have a choice as all but the smallest carry-on bags go in the hold on the ATR aircraft that air Tahiti files. Also note that the scuba equipment isn’t limited to 5kg, just that having scuba equipment adds 5kg to the limit of your normal baggage.

At least in bora bora there is virtually zero chance of a bag getting lost. Only 1 or 2 planes on the ground at a time, one gate, one runway. You can watch your bag come off the plane and take the trolly to the bag drop where you pick it up. Reverse is the same for when you leave. I’d guess that the situation is the same at the airport on all the other outlying islands. Only PPT has a “larger” style airport with a bag drop and pick-up turn style (PPT isn’t that big either).

I understand the desire to not check a bag. You may not have a choice as all but the smallest carry-on bags go in the hold on the ATR aircraft that air Tahiti files. Also note that the scuba equipment isn’t limited to 5kg, just that having scuba equipment adds 5kg to the limit of your normal baggage.

At least in bora bora there is virtually zero chance of a bag getting lost. Only 1 or 2 planes on the ground at a time, one gate, one runway. You can watch your bag come off the plane and take the trolly to the bag drop where you pick it up. Reverse is the same for when you leave. I’d guess that the situation is the same at the airport on all the other outlying islands. Only PPT has a “larger” style airport with a bag drop and pick-up turn style (PPT isn’t that big either).
Yes I figure I’ll need to “gate check” my scuba gear for the island hopper flight. As you say that should be ok as long as they’re careful.

I had to pay a fee and gate check my camera gear.

Back
Top Bottom