Carnival Cruise cancelling ships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loudives

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Carnival announced today that They are cancelling the Princess line for 60 days. Although as a regular visitor on the island to do some diving, I frown on cruise people they do provide income for many.

So sorry for all the employees of the tour operators, taxi drivers (yes), shop people and anyone who works on the island that will be impacted by this.

I think a lot of people are going to suffer all the cancellations. Someone posted on Facebook it may bankrupt more people than it kills & that sounds very believable. There are a lot of small businesses that won't survive with so many events getting cancelled or put on hold indefinately. Restaurants will certainly suffer a loss of business world wide.

and Viking is halting cruises till at least May.

So sorry for all the employees of the tour operators, taxi drivers (yes), shop people and anyone who works on the island that will be impacted by this.
Yeah, but - the damages done by the cruise industry outweighs the social good. I'd love for the island to wean itself from cruise business. It's not going to happen, they've put too much into building piers and other developments so as to attract those barges, but I still dream.

Is the cruise industry going to bail out the local trinket seller, cab drivers, coke dealers (c'mon, fair is fair) that relied on the passengers for their livelihoods? The local business people in any location where the floating cesspools of human decrepitude dick are going to suffer and go out of business.

But I do wonder if this hiatus helps the environment and reinforces the position that it isn't divers peeing in the reef that is killing it.

Unfortunately the cruise ships feed the economy of the island. Imagine "Sunday in Cozumel" seven days a week. Many restaurants will be closed. Taxis are scarce. Shops, including pharmacies, that sell the items that everyone, including locals and divers, needs and wants will be on restricted access. Mega and Chedraui (sp?) will cut back because no one will have any money. The cruise ships and their passengers drop tons of money in Cozumel, like it or not, which makes it easier and cheaper and nicer for all of us divers.
The local business people in any location where the floating cesspools of human decrepitude dick are going to suffer and go out of business.
I think it's irresponsible to refer to people who are just trying to have fun in a different way than us divers as @BoundForElsewhere has. I agree that the cruise ships are contributing more to the declining health of the reefs than the divers, and reduced cruise activity may be good for Cozumel, but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Cheers - M²

Back
Top Bottom