Caribbean Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a dive resort in the Caribbean where there is some excellent, shallow reef diving (less than 50-60 feet), incredible visibility, good nightlife, good snorkeling (my fiance is not a diver), white sand beaches, and lots of stuff to do other than diving. I'd also like to find a resort where there is beach diving at the resort (hey, I'm feeling lazy).

Can anyone recommend a location, a good time to visit weatherwise, and a good resort to stay? Thanks.

I would have to say I would probably pick some place like the Caymans...... we stayed on the east end away from 7 mile beach dove with Ocean Frontiers got married there and you can always go to town for more activity, I would also look at some place like Aruba.......

Bonaire would be great for you guys...except the night life is non-existent, beaches are few and far in between, there is not much else to do but dive... :)

Ok, I'm exaggerating a little....there is some night life, but nothing crazy..its all in Kralendijk..couple bars and some nice restaurants all within a half-mile. There are some beaches just west of the airport, a very small beach at Divi flamingo and I'm sure other resorts. Besides diving, there is wind-surfing, bicycling, nature tours, snorkeling, fishing, gambling, jogging, and water taxis to Klein Bonaire.

Now Cozumel has great night life, all of the above and more for non-divers to do, better visibility, and beaches on east and west coast.

However, you will be boat diving so you may or may not get the depths you want unless the entire group wants to go to a shallow site...not a problem in the afternoon as they stay above 60ft then anyways.

hope this helps.

J

Based on wanting to do stuff as a couple other than dive, as well as some diving, I would recommend you look into Curacao rather than Bonaire, for a spot with good combination of activities that's out of the hurricane belt in general.

We stayed at Papgayo which was across the road from the Jan Thiel beach, and really enjoyed it. Hit places like Porto Marie for a day trip, for activities for two, and the shore dive access point at Jan Thiel has to be the easiest access I've ever seen. You get free admission to Jan Thiel beach if you stay at one of the properties adjoining the beach area. There is good snorkeling at Jan Thiel area as well. And, a day trip to Klein Curacao on the Mermaid boat is a nice diversion and the diving at klein Curacao is different in its own right.

Check out www.shorediving.com for more details and if you go take a dive at Directors Bay while on Curacao.

Many of the beaches on Curacao charge a nominal fee for parking / access which gives pretty decent security there. And for nightlife, the movie theater area has lots of stuff and loads of security folks.

Have a great trip wherever you go!

mccabejc:
I'm looking for a dive resort in the Caribbean where there is some excellent, shallow reef diving (less than 50-60 feet), incredible visibility, good nightlife, good snorkeling (my fiance is not a diver), white sand beaches, and lots of stuff to do other than diving. I'd also like to find a resort where there is beach diving at the resort (hey, I'm feeling lazy).

Can anyone recommend a location, a good time to visit weatherwise, and a good resort to stay? Thanks.
Try Couples Resort (Ocho rios) Jamaica. Everythoing is included, even the gear. Great beach. They'll give your wife an intro to scuba for free (does she swim?) and she can make the shallow dives. Dances and shows every night. excellent food. Plenty to do topside. Have their own nude island. Also it is a romantic place. Dive boat goes out twice a day.

Regards,

mccabejc:

The BVI has great diving mostly in the 30-90 foot range, great snorkeling, world-class sailing, world-class windsurfing, mountain biking, history, lot's of night life, lot's of great white sand beaches, etc...

Try www.peterisland.com

zboss:
The BVI has great diving mostly in the 30-90 foot range, great snorkeling, world-class sailing, world-class windsurfing, mountain biking, history, lot's of night life, lot's of great white sand beaches, etc...

Try www.peterisland.com

You make the BVI's sound great ... thanks! I'll seriously consider going there and I'll certainly arrange to do some sailing.

Following is my response to the originator of this post:

I dive. My husband does not. Those of us in this situation have a lot in common! It isn't easy to find vacation destinations that are really interesting for both of us. Be assured, though, that they do exist. It just takes a lot of effort to find them.

Some of the prettiest diving I've ever done was in Bequia. All dives are 50 - 60' or thereabouts. The advantages, of course, is that the reefs are brighter due to more light and one can dive longer. I enjoy the relatively unusual critters almost more than the pelagics. In Bequia there are frogfish, sea horses, schools of squid, numerous peacock flounder, etc. I got picked up and dropped of at the beach near where we stayed. We were there in the summer and there weren't many tourists. However, there were several decent restaurants so I'm assuming there is at least some nightlife during peak season. It wouldn't compare with Grand Cayman.

We stayed at Kingsville Cottages which are actually reasonably priced apartments located a very short distance from Lower Bay. Lower Bay has a beautiful sandy beach. Actually, there are several nice beaches on Bequia though getting to them easily would be a challenge. I didn't happen to snorkel this time though I think there must be some good spots, especially considering that the diving is shallow. There are two dive shops and both owners are really helpful in supplying this sort of information.
There are places to stay in town (such as it is) but the beach is not so easily accessible. Kingsville Cottages would not be considered a resort.

Bequia is in the Grenadines and the area is known for having some of the best sailing in the world. If you go during peak season, sailing trips can be arranged. When we go again, I'll be sure to arrange for this in advance. I'd love to go to the Tobago Cayes and that can be done from Bequia. Actually, I'd like to dive the Tobago Cayes but haven't found a realistic way to pull that off -- yet!

We went to East End Cayman two years ago. I didn't enjoy the maddening crowds and the cruise ship tourists on Seven Mile on an earlier trip to Seven Mile. East End seemed a nice alternative. My husband enjoyed East End more than I did. East End is really, really quiet. The snorkeling is good. The restaurants are excellent though they are quite expensive and relatively few in number. Night life is very limited. However, one could drive from East End to Seven Mile for night life. It is several miles from East End to Seven Mile and taxi rental isn't a realistic solution. Do rent a car if you go this route. For East End, you would most likely want a car, anyway. The diving at East End is okay but got to be "same ole, same ole" quickly.

There is unusually good snorkeling and a beach to die for at Salt Caye. It goes on forever and "only leave footprints" takes on real meaning. I'd go back in a heartbeat. However, nightlife is non-existant.

Ondine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom