cardio workout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnctina

Reaction score
How long after a dive should you wait before doing a cardio workout? Would the time to wait for your workout be related to the depth and bottom time of the dive? Can a diver get bent from slightly elevated heart rates after a dive like from climbing stairs or lugging gear or cylinders?

Hi Tina,

A slightly elevated heart rate not involving potentially problematic involvement of joints would not be expected to significantly increase the risk of DCI following moderate recreational scuba. In fact, in many cases it might be expected to facilitate safe off-gassing. Just don't overdo it and make sure to stay well hydrated.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hello cnctina:

Physical Activity

Some activity following a dive is a good idea, since this will promote blood flow to the tissues. The key here is not to be overly active.

Longtime readers of this forum will recall my oft-repeated cautions about strenuous exercise such as beach volleyball. Cardio exercise might fall into this category depending on what you are doing. As Doc Vikingo mentions, heart rate elevation is actually a good thing since this promotes tissue perfusion (blood flow). The problem lies in the possibility of creating/enlarging tissue micronuclei and this can lead to DCS.

Sleeping

The opposite case is one I have also mention. This is the one where the diver naps or sleeps during the interdive period. This reduces blood flow – and dissolved nitrogen washout – to the lowest possible level. In addition, there is the horrible possibility that neurological DCS could develop and go completely unnoticed.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Truth is, you can not do much about that shift. Just try and move your arms and legs often when you are not eating. Simply sitting quietly is not the best SI activity.:14:

So having a slightly elevated heart rate after a dive is o.k. as long as you don't crank it up to anarobic levels. So I probably won't get bent walking up a few stairs or lugging cylinders off the dock or eating lunch then will I.

Truth is, walking up stairs and lugging cylinders is too much activity. Walking is fine, but not climbing stairs.

I personally got into a problem doing the stair-climbing thing.:bomb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom