Carbon pencils for slates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Father

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Probably stupid to not want to spend $1.99 but would be willing to spend $26.99 for the "raw" materials, but...

These carbon pencils sold by DGX... they look like they're woodless sketch pencils like these that have heat shrink tubing over them.

Question is... which version of the ones on the Amazon.com link are they? They have whole lead core 2B thru 8B. Any idea which one, if any, is the one used for the dive slate pencils?

I gave up on pencils of any type for my slate so I just use a grease pencil. They're available anyplace but have to be modified to work properly. The paper wrapper dissolves so I just peel it all off and use the "grease core" in a plastic tube. They show up better and are just as easy to erase.

I gave up on pencils of any type for my slate so I just use a grease pencil. They're available anyplace but have to be modified to work properly. The paper wrapper dissolves so I just peel it all off and use the "grease core" in a plastic tube. They show up better and are just as easy to erase.

The carbon pencils work well... my only issue is that they break easily.
They make mechanical grease pencils / China markers. Not sure if they have any metal parts in them that would make them go to crap in the water though.

These mechanical aqua pencils are nice. I have one.... I just stripped off the dumb rubber thing around it. I should probably just find a way to attach it to my wrist slate.
The graphite / carbon pencils write a lot better (darker) though.

Probably stupid to not want to spend $1.99 but would be willing to spend $26.99 for the "raw" materials, but...

These carbon pencils sold by DGX... they look like they're woodless sketch pencils like these that have heat shrink tubing over them.

Question is... which version of the ones on the Amazon.com link are they? They have whole lead core 2B thru 8B. Any idea which one, if any, is the one used for the dive slate pencils?

Over the years I experimented with various underwater "pencils". So far, the one I've liked the best is the Super Graphite Pencil. Trident sells them to the dive shops. Trident Super Slate Adjustable Pencil

The Xit 404 graphite pencils are very good and they also easily affixe to slates
I can also recommend the Scoth brite Easy erase ($2.50 from ACE Hardware) for fast cleaning of slates
I use them both all the time while teaching

Arm & Hammer Magic Erasers are MAGICAL!!! Non abrasive and remove even Sharpie from slates. Totes amazeballs.

A regular pencil sharpened on both ends-one end stuck into a piece of surgical tubing. Tie the other end of the tubing to a small stack of dismantled floppy disc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom