Carbon Monoxide: Near Miss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedyTedy

Registered
Reaction score
Figured I would post about an incident involving Carbon Monoxide, for documentation and everyone else's benefit. This occurred last summer, but since this type of incident is apparently very rare, I am posting it; feel free to move if this is the wrong section.

Last summer I went with some friends to Capurganá, a rural village in Colombia. I was definitely more precautious than most other travelers: I found and booked a PADI certified shop in the village ahead of time, and brought a Cootwo carbon monoxide/o2 analyzer with me.

The day of the first dive, I immediately started checking tanks at the diveshop, and each tank was INCREDIBLY high in carbon monoxide. I was almost in disbelief as I had only seen reports of ~10-20ppm on the forum. My analyzer read 50ppm and the number itself started flashing, which from my understanding indicates an even higher value (meaning I had exceeded the max reading).

I never thought through what I would do if a CO test actually failed, but prepare for an awkward situation if this ever happens to you (since you're essentially insulting a diveshop's equipment, from their perspective). I obviously didn't dive, but the divemasters were adamant that they had dived on these tanks multiple times a day without issue. They were convinced my sensor was inaccurate, so I had them blow into the top with their own lungs to see the CO count lower. They said that they had never heard of carbon monoxide before ("are you sure you don't mean carbon dioxide?"). I actually brought up a chart on my phone from the British navy with various ppm safety threshold recommendations for them to take it any seriously.

One of the divemasters was a bit more open with me, and eventually they started investigating the cause of the issue. Turns out that the entire village was running off of generators from a power outage, and they had positioned the compressor intake in a backyard which a high CO count, probably near the exhaust of a neighbor's generator. I assume this issue didn't start the day I arrived, since the village had been running off generators for several days before. I actually held the sensor around the compressor intake, and the ambient CO was still at a level that caused my sensor to flash. I wish I could find a better photo, but I can only find where the display is mid-flash..

ncfYm9b.jpg

The story ends with me going with a different diveshop for a day, while I left the sensor with the original one so that they could to lower the reading. They were able to get their CO readings down to 10ppm, which was still unacceptable to me, by changing the compressor intake position. They finally got it down to 2ppm which I was willing to accept since I had several dives booked already.

Probably the most interesting data from this story is that I had measured nearly every tank in the shop as originally 50ppm+. While all this drama was going on, the diveshop continued to dive with those tanks! And as far as I can tell, no one died. I guess CO poisoning during scuba is just not well studied and unpredictable? Definitely a risk I'm not willing to take!

Figured I would post about an incident involving Carbon Monoxide, for documentation and everyone else's benefit. This occurred last summer, but since this type of incident is apparently very rare, I am posting it; feel free to move if this is the wrong section.

Last summer I went with some friends to Capurganá, a rural village in Colombia. I was definitely more precautious than most other travelers: I found and booked a PADI certified shop in the village ahead of time, and brought a Cootwo carbon monoxide/o2 analyzer with me.

The day of the first dive, I immediately started checking tanks at the diveshop, and each tank was INCREDIBLY high in carbon monoxide. I was almost in disbelief as I had only seen reports of ~10-20ppm on the forum. My analyzer read 50ppm and the number itself started flashing, which from my understanding indicates an even higher value (meaning I had exceeded the max reading).

I never thought through what I would do if a CO test actually failed, but prepare for an awkward situation if this ever happens to you (since you're essentially insulting a diveshop's equipment, from their perspective). I obviously didn't dive, but the divemasters were adamant that they had dived on these tanks multiple times a day without issue. They were convinced my sensor was inaccurate, so I had them blow into the top with their own lungs to see the CO count lower. They said that they had never heard of carbon monoxide before ("are you sure you don't mean carbon dioxide?"). I actually brought up a chart on my phone from the British navy with various ppm safety threshold recommendations for them to take it any seriously.

One of the divemasters was a bit more open with me, and eventually they started investigating the cause of the issue. Turns out that the entire village was running off of generators from a power outage, and they had positioned the compressor intake in a backyard which a high CO count, probably near the exhaust of a neighbor's generator. I assume this issue didn't start the day I arrived, since the village had been running off generators for several days before. I actually held the sensor around the compressor intake, and the ambient CO was still at a level that caused my sensor to flash. I wish I could find a better photo, but I can only find where the display is mid-flash..

View attachment 580390

The story ends with me going with a different diveshop for a day, while I left the sensor with the original one so that they could to lower the reading. They were able to get their CO readings down to 10ppm, which was still unacceptable to me, by changing the compressor intake position. They finally got it down to 2ppm which I was willing to accept since I had several dives booked already.

Probably the most interesting data from this story is that I had measured nearly every tank in the shop as originally 50ppm+. While all this drama was going on, the diveshop continued to dive with those tanks! And as far as I can tell, no one died. I guess CO poisoning during scuba is just not well studied and unpredictable? Definitely a risk I'm not willing to take!

What was the standard depth for dives in that locale?

since this type of incident is apparently very rare, I am posting it
Thanks for sharing the experience. I don't think it's so rare as seldom exposed. No one knows how many cases of travelers flu are really survived CO hits, or how many drownings were caused by CO toxicity as testing is rare. Glad you tested, survived, and exposed.

Thanks for sharing the experience. I don't think it's so rare as seldom exposed. No one knows how many cases of travelers flu are really survived CO hits, or how many drownings were caused by CO toxicity as testing is rare. Glad you tested, survived, and exposed.

Yeah I really wish there was more hard data on this. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if I dove on those 50ppm+ tanks; I know that some tourists and divemasters at that shop did so and survived, and I suspect that the tanks were contaminated before that particular day I tested.

Yeah I really wish there was more hard data on this. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if I dove on those 50ppm+ tanks; I know that some tourists and divemasters at that shop did so and survived, and I suspect that the tanks were contaminated before that particular day I tested.
I trust that you calibrated your unit before testing. I don't think it'd test if you hadn't. 50 ppm taken to 70 feet triples the effect so while you may survive the exposure (as others did), it's still dangerous and to some extent harmful. I wonder how many of those others feel ill and haven't said so publically?

50 ppm is just totally unacceptable and you have to wonder what else is getting into the tanks. I am surprised that you didn't take your tester when you change Ops for the day.

Turns out that the entire village was running off of generators from a power outage
With fumes drifting throughout the village no doubt. I doubt that their homes are insulated as those in the US so the CO didn't build up to toxic levels. Generators ran in power outages often kill entire households in the US.

Maybe a little off, could they have further reduced with filters to remove residual CO.

Yeah I really wish there was more hard data on this. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if I dove on those 50ppm+ tanks;

Since your analyzer maxes out at 50ppm it's hard to say, however if it was at or near 50ppm then as long as you stayed above 10m then you may have not noticed anything (it's a time/dose thing). Which is why the DMs said "no problemo". However a reading at 50ppm also means that there are probably other things going on (CO2, other hydrocarbon gases) that can also cause problems. If your cylinder had 50ppm CO then the CO2 would probably also have been through the roof. So a double whammy. O2 was probably down a bit as well but not enough to be concerned about (20.6ish vs 20.9)

Personally my threshold is 2ppm which would allow for error on a portable unit. With an analysis done by a lab my threshold is 0.0ppm. There should be no CO. If there is, then there is other stuff going on as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom