Carbon Monoxide kills two - Eforie, Romania

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Just didn't bother testing their tanks...

Cum au murit cei doi scafandri la Eforie: aveau buteliile încărcate cu gaze nocive - focuspress.ro
Google's translation...
How the two divers died in Eforie: their cylinders were loaded with harmful gases

New data have appeared regarding the two divers unconscious from the sea waters, at Eforie Nord. It would seem that this is an error in loading the air cylinders that led to his death, despite the efforts of doctors.

According to unofficial sources in their entourage, the two divers were employees of a company that won the tender for monitoring the marine environment, before the sanding works. They allegedly loaded their air cylinders with a compressor, as is generally the case, but did not take any specific measures, and the compressor also introduced the gases emitted by it into those cylinders. Basically, the two divers breathed in exhaust fumes.

The two were brought to shore unconscious and resuscitated, but unfortunately they were pronounced dead.

We mention that this is a work accident and the representatives of ITM Constanța went to the scene to start an investigation.

It should be noted that the two divers, one 32 years old and the other 54 years old, had the role of doing preliminary research before starting the sanding works on the beach in Eforie Nord.

What Emil's oldest friends are saying

About the oldest of them, Emil Matei, 54, from Mangalia, his friends and colleagues say that he was the most prepared of all Romanian divers, so he could teach others this profession.

"He was the most accredited diver and supervisor we know, the best of us all, who could dive to great depths. Something happened there, otherwise it is not explained. He was not the man to die at a depth of only 4 meters, because from there you can come to the surface anyway, and if you take off your belt, and if you just inflate your vest, you still come to the surface, and if you shake hands you come out , is a shallow depth. Something else happened there " , the man's colleagues and friends told us.

Either the colleagues haven't heard the cause or haven't learned much from the event because contaminated air is not unheard of event.

Either the colleagues haven't heard the cause or haven't learned much from the event because contaminated air is not unheard of event.
Many very accomplished divers don't test their tanks, as they didn't. The air must have been extremely bad to knock them both unconscious at 12 meters, but there is always that risk.

What percentage of divers check air? Do nitrox gauges also check for other gases?

Many very accomplished divers don't test their tanks, as they didn't.

I've posted here on Scubaboard before that once, when I was preparing for a cave dive, I tested my tanks for CO and the device indicated 18ppm CO. As most people there that day had filled their tanks at the same place (the only dive shop within 100km), I thought I should alert other divers nearby and offer my CO analyzer. One diving instructor near me refused using the device, saying that it was not necessary because he did not smell anything wrong in his gas.

I've posted here on Scubaboard before that once, when I was preparing for a cave dive, I tested my tanks for CO and the device indicated 18ppm CO. As most people there that day had filled their tanks at the same place (the only dive shop within 100km), I thought I should alert other divers nearby and offer my CO analyzer. One diving instructor near me refused using the device, saying that it was not necessary because he did not smell anything wrong in his gas.

:shocked:

Wow, hope you educated that person. Smh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom