Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boriss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but I'm interested in buying the Halcyon CF BP (Halcyon Dive Systems). Pretty much interested in it for aesthetic reasons. I already have an aluminum and SS BP's. The question is: will it hold up with steel doubles? I'm typically careful with my gear on land, but expect it to just be a workhorse while diving.

Does anyone have experience? Personal or otherwise? Thanks in advance!

1639171070544.png

I saw this thread and maybe that will help you:

If you want something light and asthetically pleasing, why not titanium? Strong. Doesn't rust or corrode. More durable than carbon fiber. I have one of their backplates. Don't use it for doubles, but so far it's been great.

@wmperry
Care to chime in?

I would think it should hold up, it is designed for and by people that dive 104s everyday.

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but I'm interested in buying the Halcyon CF BP (Halcyon Dive Systems). Pretty much interested in it for aesthetic reasons. I already have an aluminum and SS BP's. The question is: will it hold up with steel doubles? I'm typically careful with my gear on land, but expect it to just be a workhorse while diving.

Does anyone have experience? Personal or otherwise? Thanks in advance!

View attachment 694970

One of my dive buddies has been using one on a JJ for about 3 years now with no issues. I would think a JJ is close to the same weight as steel twins.

Also worst case if you do brake it somehow from what I have heard Halcyon is pretty good about standing behind there products so I would think they would replace it for you under warranty.

I assumed the holes for the studs have a steel insert?
If not the stud threads would file away at the carbon fiber..,

@wmperry
Care to chime in?

I would think it should hold up, it is designed for and by people that dive 104s everyday.
Mine is still going strong and looking great after ~3 years. The black aluminum d-rings are scuffed but the plate itself is great. I dove primarily LP85s and LP104s with the occasional single AL80 on trips

They hold up very well. Over the years and many CF plates, we haven't seen a single failure besides normal wear and tear. For what it's worth, I've seen someone pick up a full set of 130's by the plate itself, shake them up and down and then stand/jump on that same plate (not recommended). No cracks, mounting hole failures, etc.

They hold up very well. Over the years and many CF plates, we haven't seen a single failure besides normal wear and tear. For what it's worth, I've seen someone pick up a full set of 130's by the plate itself, shake them up and down and then stand/jump on that same plate (not recommended). No cracks, mounting hole failures, etc.
That’s the last time I loan my plate to @Tracy

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom