Carbo Verde trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Immeriswas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just back from a 4 week island hopping trip . Mainly there for hiking and the carneval in Mindelo, i did some diving on the way.
First in Tarafal on Santiago, the biggest island. The dive operator now 500m outside his previous location , the King Fisher Resort, in a kind of selfmade beachbar. The equipment in a very good condition , the briefing okay ,but don"t exspect a dive site plan or sketch. The diving along the rocky coast in 23 degree warm water with 15 m visibility was mainly looking for small stuff like nudibranch and frogfish. That we found a few. Not to much fish arround. You could notice that fishing here is one of the main source to sustain their living.
But I got extremly lucky and encountered on one dive - the colonaden , a place with a lot of black coralls - at 20m a 10 to 12 m seized humpback whale. Definatly one of the highlights of all my dives!
On Sao Vincente I did only one dive at the wreck in the middle of the bay, because at the other days the extremly strong wind prohibeted the diving. It is only 5 to 15m deep 100m long , but already quite deterioated. Only at two places you actually can dive into a kind of leftovrt freightroom. Nicly covered with sponges and quite a bit of fish here. Coralls a gernerally in the area not so abundand.The dive base near the ferry station - Dive Tribe- has another base in San Pedro on the southwest coast.Their rental equipment was in good condition. No nitrox ,the same as in Santiago.
The third spot was on Santo Antao , the most impressive of the 4 visited islands and great for hiking, in Porto Novo. The operator is located in the Antaro Art Resort and the rental equipment was a bit on the very used side. But the could offer Nitrox. Because I was the only guest, the two dives were close to the harbour and not too impressive. Some nudis , a bit of fish , visibility 10 to 15 m.
As a resume : not a destination for somebody like me, spoiled thru various trips to the Maledives and Indonesia, for a pure dive vacation . But a good alternative to interupt the hiking or kiting and windsurfing ,the other main attraktion especially on Sal and Boa Vista for a few days.

Thanks
You were lucky to see the humpback whale, there are many who spent years and years diving and didn't see one... that alone was worth the trip I think!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom