Car rentals at Cancun airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have decided to rent a car for my use as I explore the towns along the Riviera Maya.

I will be landing at Cancun Airport and would like to get a compact car with A/C and automatic transmission. I notice a lot of ads which "lowball" the prices but then after you add the collission damage waiver and other insurances and taxes the price is much higher. I've seen a range of between about $225-$500 for a compact car with the same coverages and taxes for a 7 day rental of the car.

Can anyone recommend any reliable auto rental companies at Cancun Airport that are reasonably priced?

Thanks,

Sy

You might go to Can-Do Maps and travel guides. They have a good section on all the rental car outfits in the area. Look under the "travel tips" tab.

BTW, the prices you are looking at are within the range of all rentals that I have found and yes, they really stick it to you with the insurance fees. In the past we have used both Executive and Alamo without a problem. This year we are going to try Cancun Rent a Car | Cancun Airport Rent A Car | Rent a Car In Cancun. At least their pricing includes all the insurance and they have the best rates I have found.

Hy Sytec! I have tried Hertz and it worked very good for me. I lived in Playa del Carmen a couple of years and there you could get also good prices (usually the ones at the airport are more expensive, but that depends on the season). Have a nice time there!

We went with Easyway Rentals on our last trip based on a SB members recommendation and we were not dissappointed. The service was great. We did have a small problem with the car that we fixed ourselves and they gave us a good discount for a troubles. They were very easy to communicate with online and had pickup service to and from the airport.
I will definately use them again this January

You might go to Can-Do Maps and travel guides. They have a good section on all the rental car outfits in the area. Look under the "travel tips" tab.

BTW, the prices you are looking at are within the range of all rentals that I have found and yes, they really stick it to you with the insurance fees. In the past we have used both Executive and Alamo without a problem. This year we are going to try Cancun Rent a Car | Cancun Airport Rent A Car | Rent a Car In Cancun. At least their pricing includes all the insurance and they have the best rates I have found.

Totally agree. Have rented with all of them in Cancun and Cancun Rent a Car | Cancun Airport Rent A Car | Rent a Car In Cancun is the best value!!!

We just got back from Cancun and used Easy Way. The total cost was $200.12 for 7 days for a Nissan Tsuru with AC/Auto/collision and theft insurance. The car was a piece of **** but made it through the week and the air was cold - no problems. Check in and check out was VERY quick and the guys were cool. I've never been offered a beer while checking out a rental car! Tip - when driving stay in the right lane and go slow. The cops love pulling tourists over.

Those guys are America Car Rental disguised, i read that some people have problems, another people don't but just to be aware, i recently travel to Cancun and rent with City Car Rental Cancun they were very nice, they take cash for the security deposit, they are a small company, have variety of cars, not too much, but, you can try them

Hertz, at least a few years ago, was explicit that all rentals included the legally mandated third-party liability insurance. Make sure you take a video of the whole car before and after the rental, including the underside, spare tire, and interior.

When you're driving back toward the airport, it might be good to keep your stuff in the trunk so it isn't obvious that you're going to be in a hurry to leave that day. I've heard that getting pulled over when it's clear you're on your way out can lead to a more expensive experience with the police.

I second EasyWay Rentals (Easy Way Renta a car - Cancun Car Rental - Cancun Airport Car Rental). I have used them twice with good experiences both times. They are cheaper than rentals at the airport due to higher taxes at the airport. They pick you up at the exit door and take you to their office just off of the airport. Last trip I had to cut my trip short, Xcalak & Mahahual, due to my daughter's home getting flooded in Houston. They were very understanding & refunded the days that I didn't use. Not brand new cars but functional and inexpensive. I will use them again.

Also, if you go as far south as Puerto Carrillo, watch out the speed traps through town. I was driving extremely slow through town, got stopped by a motorcycle cop and accused of speeding. He saw my dive bag in the back seat & said that I'd have to come back tomorrow to pay the ticket. It's called La Mordida, "the bite". They know that you are traveling & don't want to come back to pay the ticket. Cost me 1500 pesos, ~$80 on the spot.

Back
Top Bottom