Capt. Joe Thomas, Key Largo, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mselenaous

Island girl
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Key Largo, FL... Dive Capital of the World
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Yesterday morning our community was shocked by the news that Capt. Joe Thomas had died. If you dove with Ocean Divers since the 90's you probably met him. Capt. Joe was a well known local with decades of experience who taught many divers and mentored many captains over the years. He was quiet and friendly, the model of excellent customer service and safety. He was active in the community, often donating his time to teach REEF.org interns or doing fish surveys for fun. His passing leaves a huge hole in the heart of this community and our condolences go out to Joe's family and the Ocean Divers family.

This was posted on the Ocean Diver's FB page yesterday.

Today we mourn the loss of a beloved member of our Ocean Divers family...

Captain Thomas you will be sorely missed, and fondly remembered.

Thank you to all for the well wishes, kind words, flowers, etc...

11924818_10153502445925540_2210117060364520688_o.jpg

This is how I remember him best
11864923_10204761499389469_6351639353414025965_o.jpg

No other can fill his pink crocs.

more sad news for the diving community........love to all his family and friends..

I will sure miss Captain Joe. Dove with him at the helm nearly 20 years. He was the best of Captains. My deepest condolences to his family and the Ocean Divers family

Joe B

Elena,

Thank you very much for posting the message regarding Capt Joe. It made me very sad to hear of his death. From 2004-2009 I made over 100 dives in Key Largo with Ocean Divers. Capt Joe drove many of the boats both I and my son went out on. I remember him as kind, soft spoken, but businesslike and safety conscious. He helped me grow as a diver with my first live drops on the Duane and drift dives on the deeper Molasses sites. On several occasions he drove me out to the Duane on Sunday afternoon with just one other diver on Ocean Diver.

My son and I just did the Florida Keys wreck trek on the M/V Spree. We drove down and back from Boynton Beach and stopped at the Galley in both directions as I could not pass up the fish tacos and the Hogfish fish and chips. On the way back up we saw Capt Joe down on the Santana helping with a repair. I yelled "Hey Capt Joe" as I waved and walked by. I really doubt he remembered me after all the years, but he looked and yelled, "Hi, nice to see you". That's how I will remember a fine man, goodbye Capt Joe.

Good diving, Craig

Not only was he a good captain, he was a good guy. He will be missed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom