Capitano?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt Decker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
20210307_201004.jpg
20210310_135655.jpg
20210310_135951.jpg
20210307_165153.jpg
Hi

Recently acquired a Mako/Bauer compressor of evidently rare vintage. Bauer customer service didn't really positively identify the model, but Lawrence Factor took a shot at it. LF said it's probably a Capitano mod 5 with a military surplus filter tower.

The seller said he had just filled a tank to 3300psi the day before.... but you know how sellers can be. The whip was melted and it's a hydraulic hose, not a breathing gas hose. The fule line wasn't even connected to the gas tank.... so we begin the teardown/rebuild process.

I have scoured the various posts here and learned quite a bit. So thought I might pick your brains some more.

First off, looking to positively ID the unit.
Block stamp is KB14874, another mark by the second stage is 7/1451/5
Not sure why I can't seem to upload pics at the moment, but I know those will be very helpful. I will work on that in this thread. (Sorry)

Presuming the compressor is fine-ish with likely a valve replacement, I am greatly concerned about the pressure vessels and filtering system. Probably need to/should replace the water/oil separators and definitely the tower. For giggles, the filter was bastardized by breaking the top portion and inserting a washer/bolt to hold it to the tower plug. I don't think that's terribly kosher. The FT is thick steel with only a few spots of surface rust, but why take this chance....

So the second question is, what's an economical and modern way to upgrade the filtering system?

Transparency - I am sure I overpaid for this unit ($1000) from what appeared to be a dive shop on the east coast and listed it as a Mako K-14. My bad, but worst case, I can part it out and resell the parts. The 9hp engine is fairly new, too.

Capitanos are great small compressors...almost bulletproof.

How many hours on the pressure vessels?...I believe ( do NOT quote me on this) they have a lifetime on the pressure cycles.... may want to look into that.

and..does that filter tower have an OP valve?...if not, it is MANY years old

This is a good brief overview if it helps...

Guide to Buying a Second Hand Bauer Compressor

Thanks, 1bubbleoff. I read that guide, too. Good stuff. Zero logs or info on hours, so I have to assume the worst. Tower doesn't have an OP valve, but the final separator does just upstream from it.

Attachments

• 20210316_161051.jpg
    20210316_161051.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 115
Thanks, 1bubbleoff. I read that guide, too. Good stuff. Zero logs or info on hours, so I have to assume the worst. Tower doesn't have an OP valve, but the final separator does just upstream from it.

Correction - There is an OP on the tower.... my brain is just a bit tired right now.

Bauers are like Unicorns...almost mythical, and never seem to die...if it were ME.....

I'd give it a test run before breaking into it..if it pumps well, don't open it up. Do a time test, see how long it takes to pump a tank, and determine the pressure relief it's set at...

If she runs and is tight....order a filter tower, ( P0 or P21 depending on which side of the pond your on) either replace or test the pressure vessel and get the air tested.... even if you put another 2k into her to get her up to snuff, your STILL ahead if it's a Capitano and pumps 4 cuft + imo.... you may have a real nice compressor for not alot of money.

Sure wish I could find a decent used Capitano for that little money...need one on my boat!

Thanks, 1bubbleoff! That's very helpful. I did open the pressure vessels to see if I had pitting or anything... all but the intermediate looked fine, really. There seemed to be some scratching on the inside that I can't really tell if it is pitting or scratches - and it's stamped 1975, so I figure I had better just replace it. See anything wrong with using a newer version of the part? Bauer doesn't carry the original 14150. Attached a close-up of what I see on the inside of the intermediate.

Attachments

• close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 104
You can reach out to @frogman62 for filter towers. He was going out of business a few months ago and might have some parts if you need them. I believe he's been doing compressors for over 40 years at this point.

agreed...drop a line to Jim Sheldon...he is one of the good guys...might get lucky....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom