Capetown area in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BenjaminF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to be in Somerset West in August. Is it worth bringing my scuba gear, or would I be better off putting on my mask and standing in a cold shower? :)

I'm planning on diving long beach this weekend. Don't know where you've dived so can't compare.

Its cold, so for some a thick wet suit,for me always a dry suit.
Its a wreck paradise.
Cold water coral is great.
Alternatively, we have a brilliant aquarium if you don't like to cold.

Um. Our diving is definitely better than standing in a cold shower with a mask on, but if you're expecting warm water resort diving, you'll be bitterly disappointed. It's pretty cold (the water temperature will be 12--15C in August) and the visibility's not that great (maybe 6m in general, 12m on a really good day, 'where are my fins?' on a bad day). But we have a couple hundred dive sites, loads of wrecks, kelp forests, sharks (Broadnose Sevengills are the biggest that are commonly seen, lots of tiny catsharks and such), a wide variety of colourful cold-water coral, nudibranchs and lots more. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but us locals are pretty enthusiastic about it.

And as Dive Bug Bit Me said, there's always the Two Oceans Aquarium. I did a dive there a couple of weeks back. It's not the same as the ocean, but it was an interesting experience. Ragged Tooth sharks, a Loggerhead turtle, kids peering at you through the glass. And calm, clear, 19C water.

Been trying to dive up the coast in PE for the last month, but because of the weather things didn't go too well. Lots of people cancelled their dives and so the shop wasn't able to put out the boat too often. 16 degree water on the few times that I was able to get in.

Do people down there dive during the week too, or is it like in PE where they seem to only get into the water on weekends?

Most of the shops will be happy to take you out for a guided shore dive during the week. A few of them do launch their boats mid-week, but only if the numbers make it worth it -- at this time of year, probably not all that often. Though, according to Pisces Divers' Twitter account (https://twitter.com/PiscesDiversCT) they've launched on Friday for the last few weeks.

Thank you

My husband and I just moved to the Cape Town area at the beginning of this year and had been reluctant to dive because of the cold water. All of my diving experience has been in warm tropical water (Florida, Mexico, Hawaii, Fiji, Australia). I finally decided that since we were going to be living here for the next 6 or so years, I needed to suck it up and do it. I wore a full 5 mil wetsuit with a 5 mil shorty complete with a hood over it. whilst it was a shock to my system getting in each time, it was worth it. There are so many vibrant colors and just so much to look at. I'd say go for it and enjoy!!

My husband and I just moved to the Cape Town area at the beginning of this year and had been reluctant to dive because of the cold water. All of my diving experience has been in warm tropical water (Florida, Mexico, Hawaii, Fiji, Australia). I finally decided that since we were going to be living here for the next 6 or so years, I needed to suck it up and do it. I wore a full 5 mil wetsuit with a 5 mil shorty complete with a hood over it. whilst it was a shock to my system getting in each time, it was worth it.

In CT for six years? Look up Grant at BlueFlash.co.za. He is the local dry suit guru. Speak to him about affordable second hand dry suits. Six years is a long time to be cold.

Hope to see you on a boat soon.

P.S. look at joining the CT forum on Scubaboard. You will find a link in my profile page.

In CT for six years? Look up Grant at BlueFlash.co.za. He is the local dry suit guru. Speak to him about affordable second hand dry suits. Six years is a long time to be cold.

Hope to see you on a boat soon.

P.S. look at joining the CT forum on Scubaboard. You will find a link in my profile page.

Gracias! I will check it out. Although don't you have to take a PADI course for dry suits? As far as the CT forum is that one of the two groups you have listed on your profile?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom