Cape Town Shark & Reef Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jedward

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I will be traveling to Cape Town in mid-January and am interested in doing Great White cage diving as well as any good reef/wreck diving in the area. Can anybody recommend some good dive spots and reputable dive shops for both options?

Thanks!

For cage diving, you'd have to go to False Bay or even farther away. Around Cape Town itself, the diving is cold (bring your drysuit), and either shore, or from zodiac. I dove with Pisces there and liked them, but hm, I like diving anywhere, there isn't really a lot to see underwater. If you haven't been diving with seals, don't miss the opportunity. Tons of dive spots though, and lots of trails and beautiful sights topside. Enjoy.

This website gives pretty detailed info on diving in Cape Town:

Diving the Cape Peninsula and False Bay ? Travel guide at Wikivoyage

I'd recommend either Pisces Divers or Down South Scuba for reef and wreck diving. Blue Flash is also good, but the cater more to the experienced local diver, who is not interested in having a DM or guide with them, and only do boat dives, not guided shore dives. January is not, as far as I know, the best time to see Great Whites, although it is possible all year round. I can't give any recommendations, but you could try one of the operators listed on the website above, or contact Pisces or Down South for a recommendation.

I'll second mijil's recommendation to see the seals, as well as recommending the Broadnose Sevengill Sharks at Pyramid (near Miller's Point). It can be done as either a shore dive or a boat dive.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll definitely try to see the seals and sevengill sharks

This website gives pretty detailed info on diving in Cape Town:

Diving the Cape Peninsula and False Bay ? Travel guide at Wikivoyage

I'd recommend either Pisces Divers or Down South Scuba for reef and wreck diving. Blue Flash is also good, but the cater more to the experienced local diver, who is not interested in having a DM or guide with them, and only do boat dives, not guided shore dives. January is not, as far as I know, the best time to see Great Whites, although it is possible all year round. I can't give any recommendations, but you could try one of the operators listed on the website above, or contact Pisces or Down South for a recommendation.

I'll second mijil's recommendation to see the seals, as well as recommending the Broadnose Sevengill Sharks at Pyramid (near Miller's Point). It can be done as either a shore dive or a boat dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom