Cape Cod Bay, Wellfleet, Ma: Shark hit a Porpoise Aftermath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WSH

Registered
Reaction score
Video at Great Island 18 Sept 2016 while I was kayaking.

It looks like a shark did this. Anyone disagree?

I'm not sure if the porpoise was living or dead at the time. The problem is that only part of the porpoise is missing--it was not entirely eaten. Maybe it was dead, maybe other porpoises scared the shark away after the bite.

Its gross.

Natural selection and the circle of life - animals need to feed / breed / die. It is just that - not gross and not funny - it is part of life.

I'll disagree. Looks like it may have been hit by a ship's prop. We have some big GWs off shore here. Seems more should be missing.

Looks like general decomposition to me. If it was a shark then there would be big round chunks out of it. Instead it looks like seagulls been tearing off little bits, or fishes have been pulling off of the bits. Must have reeked pretty good.

Week
Looks like general decomposition to me. If it was a shark then there would be big round chunks out of it. Instead it looks like seagulls been tearing off little bits, or fishes have been pulling off of the bits. Must have reeked pretty good.
I looked closely and saw some broken bones. Usually birds just pick them clean

Week

I looked closely and saw some broken bones. Usually birds just pick them clean

A ship's prop will break bones. It really doesn't look like the work of a shark to me. There's just too much left. They are fond of playing around ships this one probably misjudged and bought it.

All good. Last question in my mind is why the left rear fluke is ripped off.

I sent it to the marine mammal protection people who come out on the Cape to see if they would comment, but I have not got a response.

It was still pretty fresh without any flies.

All good. Last question in my mind is why the left rear fluke is ripped off.

I sent it to the marine mammal protection people who come out on the Cape to see if they would comment, but I have not got a response.

Sharks want fat in their feeding, flukes contain very little fat. Doubtful that a shark took a fluke and left the "best" parts. The lose of the fluke may have been caused by whatever killed the critter or after death. There's no way to tell from here. A big GW would have pretty much consumed the entire animal while a Blue or Mako would have left classic shark bite marks.

Speculation only; perhaps the animal died of natural causes and was hit by a good side boat or small ship that cut the fluke off and did other damage?

If I were you I'd contact the MMP people and request their conclusions.

Video at Great Island 18 Sept 2016 while I was kayaking.

It looks like a shark did this. Anyone disagree?

I'm not sure if the porpoise was living or dead at the time. The problem is that only part of the porpoise is missing--it was not entirely eaten. Maybe it was dead, maybe other porpoises scared the shark away after the bite.

Its gross.

Back
Top Bottom