Cape Ann Dives 4-29-12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petrieps

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It was a beautiful day on Cape Ann today, ideal for diving. Thanks Dave and Joe for your accurate condition reports yesterday. I may not have dived if not for those.

The first dive was Magnolia Rocks. There was a steady wind blowing, but the sea was pretty flat, just gentle waves washing over the rocks. Perfect for a low tide entry. Some how I managed to smear zipper wax on the inside of my mask. I didn’t notice until I was sitting on the edge of the rocks about to go in.and I couldn’t see out of the left side. What a PITA cleaning it out before going in.
The entry was easy and I was amazed at the vis. It had to be 25+ the whole dive. There wasn’t much life there. I saw 3 short lobster, 1 sea raven, 1 very large skate, 1 possible keeper flounder, sponges and a few anemones. Water temperatures hovered between 43-44 at depth. The dive was about 60 minutes, I was getting cold.

I like to dive multiple sites when time permits. Norman’s Woe was on my mind for the next one. This site holds special memories for me. I haven’t dove it for several years. Once there I remembered how grueling the walk is. I decided not to dive it for that reason. I took the walk down anyway to check it out. To me without a doubt it is one of the prettiest spots on Cape Ann. I will be diving there in the near future.

Grapevine Road is what I decided for the second dive. In my opinion this is one of the worst entries on Cape Ann at low tide, but I did it anyway because I like it there. I wanted to find some of that 50 degree water, and I thought I had but once below 30 feet it was again 43-44. Not a whole lot of life here either. I did see six lobster, one of which was a keeper. He is digesting right now. The other notable creature was a one-eyed 24 inch codfish. It was the strangest color cod I have ever seen, a deep redish brown. This dive was 55 minutes with at least 30 foot vis.

Awesome day, a stark contrast to what tomorrow will be like.

Nice report.....For long walks I use a hand truck and lash the gear...but then again I'am old.....Looks like a great way to end a Vacation..then..back to work!!1

Back
Top Bottom