Canyon Lake Conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also curious if there is rental and air somewhere around there. We have a timeshare down there right on Canyon Lake, so it would be interesting to find out about where to dive and rental gear. Of course, since it's normally the wife, little one and myself going I'll also need to find out about hooking up with a dive buddy down there. No rush though since we don't currently have any actual plans to go down there.

Another curiosity... Anyone really familiar with Canyon Lake able to give me an idea as to how late in the year the water temp is still decent for diving in say a 3mm wetsuit? I'm pretty clueless about this stuff right now, but really trying to learn.

North Park is most used by divers water temp in 70s till late oct should be fun diving.

Hi Dan!
Gena and I were diving at North Park about 6 weeks ago. Here's what I remember. North Park is located at the north end of the dam. Enter the park from FM 306. Be prepared to pay a few dollars per person at the park entrance. Be prepared to file paperwork with the gatekeeper to include license plate, your name, your home address, city, st, zip, DL #. The gatekeeper will claim that he doesn't want your information but then will immediately demand it and plead ignorance. "It's not my policy. It's just policy"; but he can't tell you why it's policy.

He will also try to tell you that you can dive for free on the south end of the dam in proximity to the project office. Don't believe him. That is a hike followed by a mountain goat trail followed by a mountain goat entry. Pay your money and stick with North Park.

As I remember, the water level was approximately average. North Park entry location was reasonably simple but not trivial. Water temperature was in the 70s as reported. Visibility was approx. 6 - 15 ft. somewhat variable. All in all, I would call it a typical lake dive. Be warned, the boaters were crazy and did not respect the dive flag. When we were there, there was also a sail boat (quiet - no motor) regalia competition in the area. The sail boaters, at least, seemed to try to be respectful of other people.

Air fills and dive shop? No clue.

Air and rental can be got @ Duggan Diving Universal City, Dive World in San Antonio, and The Dive Shop in San Marcos. Air can be got @ Goofys on 306 @ the lake.

I would recommend Duggan Diving as well. I got my OW with them in 95 and have been on a couple of big trips (Africa, Galapegos) with them.
They are top notch!

Back
Top Bottom