Canyon Lake, AZ - dive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
Would like to start diving Canyon lake, since its so much closer to our house than LP. Does anybody have a spot they've found which is reasonably decent?
Looking for something with a bit of drop-off so that its easy to get to about 30-50 feet.
We'd like to take some training dives out there to trial a bunch of new gear.
This is also a chance for me to try to provide some "HBO"therapy to my joints. I've found that just diving in my swimming pool (9-12 feet?) is enough to make my joints less painful. I'm hoping a few very shallow nitrox dives will help even more.
I'm battling osteonecrosis of my knees, along with synovitis of many other joints. Although I seriously doubt this can heal me, I do believe even the swimming pool dives have decreased the synovitis by an amazing amount.
So, we figured we'd give Canyon Lake a try and play around with deploying our SMBs, maybe running some line and other fun stuff that you can do in 30 feet of poor visibility water, while also giving myself some much need physical and mental therapy time.
Also, Saguaro lake? Worse or better than Canyon LaKe?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've wondered the same thing. I'll keep an eye on this thread for any advice.
RichH

Contact Duggan Diving in Universal City, TX or Dive World (two locations in San Antonio), or Canyon Lake Divers (at Canyon Lake), and they can probably help you do some diving at Canyon Lake. I know all three dive ops have dive trips in the lake, especially on the weekends in the summer. A primary dive spot is North Park, near the north side of the dam, and it has pretty nice shore dive entry points. You can also look up Canyon Lake dive spots on the web. There used to be a map posted on the web of things to see at the two main dive locations, both of which get pretty busy in the summer time. I also believe you need to have a reservation to use North Park, so early booking is a good idea.

Thanks for the advice, however, we are looking in Arizona, just outside Phoenix. Should have been more specific with a generic name like Canyon Lake.
RichH

Arizona « Rob Neto Rob put this together a few years ago before he moved to cave country.

I've also heard about both the shallow cove (60') and the depth (90"+) on the wall opposite Acacia on Canyon Lake. It's also a boat ramp.

I've dove Butcher Jones at Saguaro, pretty shallow. I think 20' is optimistic.
The one that always intrigued me was Keyhole. Never tried it though.

I modified your title slightly...

I have no experience diving Canyon Lake but I did kayak there once and thought there might be some diving opportunities. What would you expect to find if you got out of the large part of the lake and went up the narrower part of the channel headed up towards the next dam? There are cliffs on both sides that must extend below water. If the vis is not too bad there could be a wall dive there. Maybe an old topographical map of the area before it was flooded could turn up something interesting?

Sorry! Did not catch the AZ, before posting. Should have followed my Air Force Training = RTFQ.

In all fairness, the AZ wasn't there when you posted - I added that later.

Hello Dr Tracy, About the distance to LP, my only comment will be- I hear you…Nevertheless, LP provides the best scuba diving conditions compare to the other lakes in the area. But you've asked of LS & LC, so it made me curious and had to open my logbook: Saguaro LakeMy only dive there was @ 9.16.09.Site: From the entrance, go all the way to the end of the road.Temp: 22-23C (71.6-73.4F).Max Depth: 11.3M (37').Thermocline: From 3-4M (10-13').Visibility above Thermocline: 0.3M (~1').Visibility below Thermocline: Better, only if you use flashlight.Things to see: Mud! And Algae (with tiny fish around it).Summary: LP is better! Canyon LakeMy only dive there was @ 8.27.11.Temp: 23C (73.4F).Max Depth: 4.3M (14').Thermocline: From 2M (6.5').Visibility: Poor!Things to see: Nothing!Summary: LP is better! Idea: If you got tired of LP and only if you're into it- Sheep crossing (not open all year long) @ Salt River can be nice for shallow Treasure Hunting. Been there couple of times with few forum members and it was a nice experience.

But if you get some not so good diving in from time to time, the OK conditions will feel really good.
Sagauro does have the helicopter
Canyon had a Jeepster next to one of the bridges for years. Don't know if it is still there or not. Lady ran off the road coming back from the bar one night and it went into the drink and they left it.
Sagauro has a bug eyed sprite in it as well, I don't even know where it is. An old friend who was into fishing helped set up some habitats many years ago when the water was low and that is when they found it. I need to find it some day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom