Can't wait to retire.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on_two_wheels

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am gettign more and more addicted to the water. I watch Discovery, Travel and Nat Geo channels every time anything to do with the ocean is on. I'm dying to get a 2nd career in the dive industry. I have about 6-7 years to retirement, though. However, the thought did cross my mind to just sell everything and go do it now. Just curious....anyone done such a thing?

Actually I can recall 2 scubaboard members doing such a thing. Liz ~ now owner of Golden Reef Inn on Bonaire ~ formerly of the fine Garden State (NJ). Drew Sailbum escaped from the MidAtlantic region to Cayman as an instructor. Both have posted their stories on the boards and you may be able to search out the original posts. Not sure how long ago as time seems to fly by. Both are still active on board - you can find Liz over in Travel, ABC islands and Drew in Caymans. I don't know either personally, only read with much envy their stories from afar. If I recall about a year after Drew jumped he posted 'a year without shoes' reflection ~ good read. (Eidetic memory, things seem to stick...) I have other friends who have taken early out packages and gone onto second careers managing shops and teaching.

You are not alone ~ my friends and I contemplate just walking away from it all the time! Good luck and keep us posted.

If it is something you want to do - use the next few years to transition in:

#1. What do you really want to do?
a. Be a dive boat captain
b. Be an instructor
c. manage a dive resort.
d. manage a dive operation at a resort
e. etc, etc.

Figure out #1 and work toward meeting the requirement to do that job professionally!

If anyone has been able to find the two posts that are referred to above, please post the link. I have been looking for a while now and cant seem to find them, I would really love to read them, selling everything and moving to an island is a fantasy of mine.

That is a good post! Thank you for sharing the link. Anyone know where the year without shoes post is located? I think that I could make a go at the island life... I live a rural existence now and have spent over a month at a time on vacation a few times but am curious as to his experiences looking back after a year.

Thank you Dan! That was the exact post I was referring to. Still a good read. I do recall Drew posted before he left as well. In that post he discussed his situation at the time and plans. (As it is not my story I will refrain from my recollection) It too was a good read, but may be archived off...

I've already taken some steps in my escape plan. I've recently become a certified massage therapist (license pending) as I know I do not want to persue diving as a second profession. Too much responsibility and have seen too many scary things. I figure I could set up practice anywhere in the world, need be.

Jersey: You will probably be successful in your transition because you are planning for it.

Just up and chunking it all does not get you very far. But saying to yourself, this is not where I want to be or how I want to live long term - so what can I do about it so that the change will be positive and I will be happy in the future is the way to go.

It should almost be like planning a crime. There should be some sense of excitement in the knowledge that you have a plan in the works!

I would never move to the islands cause my spouse likes her stuff! But a vacation home shared be a couple of other families could be in the future!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom