Question Can’t pick: PG Atlantis or Magic Resort Anda, Bohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottmurillo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Title says it all. Any info would be great! Oh and since I don’t know where to go you can also add Dumaguete in there.

You can't go wrong with any of them...here are my thoughts having dived two out of three of them (PG & Dauin) and done research for a future trip to the third (Anda). Puerto and Anda are mixed destinations, meaning there is a good mix of macro, wide-angle, open water, and deep diving, whereas Dauin is much more macro oriented (one of the best in the world). Also, there is a large technical diving community in Puerto is that means anything to you. In terms of logistics, Puerto is the easiest as it's a couple hour drive down from Manila and then a 30 minute ferry ride. Both Anda and Dauin require a domestic flight and then either ferry and a 3 hours drive for Anda or the flight and 30 minute drive for Dauin. In terms of number of dive operators, Puerto is by far the largest, followed by Dauin, and then Anda. There is also quite a bit of beach and night life in Puerto, if you're looking for topside activities, whereas Dauin and Anda are more diving focused. In fact, Puerto is a bit of a "honky-tonk" and for that reason I avoid it. There are some eco-tourist activities Anda and Dauin. Again, it's primarily what type of diving you like and if you don't mind spending extra time to reach more remote locations.

...There is also quite a bit of beach and night life in Puerto, if you're looking for topside activities, whereas Dauin and Anda are more diving focused. In fact, Puerto is a bit of a "honky-tonk" and for that reason I avoid it.
LOL.
That is from someone who is based on Kata Beach in Phuket. There are a lot more girlie bars and massage parlours on that beach than ...
And you are quite happy to stay there!

Title says it all. Any info would be great! Oh and since I don’t know where to go you can also add Dumaguete in there.
SB is going to invade both Atlantis this coming Jan.
You asked about three places: Anda, Dauin(Dumaguete) and PG.
Anda is in Bohol and Alona Beach is the most popular diving destination among both areas. Plenty of info on Alona Beach.
Dauin is well known for macro.
PG has a bit of everything on diving varieties.
Anilao which is just across the channel is well known for macro. If you have never been to Philippines then I will suggest Anilao + PG. There is no need to take any domestic flight. Actually you can reach Anilao about 3hrs after landing in Manila.
A word of warning on diving in Anilao: check the price list because of extra charges eg boat and guiding fees. Some resort will offer fixed rate but others don't.
Ignore the comment on the night life in PG because it can readily be avoided.

Might be a bad take but Atlantis looks very over priced . Not sure how much nicer the rooms can be or dive guide ratio is to justify there prices.
Maybe I don't appreciate the value they offer

Going back in Aug and im splurging and stay with el galleon / Asian divers .

Might be a bad take but Atlantis looks very over priced . Not sure how much nicer the rooms can be or dive guide ratio is to justify there prices.

Agree about Atlantis...the price for Scuba Surge at Atlantis next year is just whack. I could spend a month in Puerto for what they're paying for a week.

Agree about Atlantis...the price for Scuba Surge at Atlantis next year is just whack. I could spend a month in Puerto for what they're paying for a week.
LOL.
Do you know how long Atlantis has been operated in PG? Definitely no idea at all!!!!
You could not affor to stay in Atlantis does not equate to others!!!
This is a FREE world but unfortunately many places are measured by the depth of ones pocket.
Suck it up.

There are all kinds of accommodation/dive operator to suit anyone eg. US$100.00 for one night including 3 dives and a room.
Just pick one to suit your own pocket.

@Scottmurillo
I'll just add that Puerto Galera is a bit of a dump. When I take a dive trip (1/3 of the way around the world) I'd like to get a view that isn't a small bay crammed full of boats, etc. It's also somewhat unsafe in that you will have divers being certfied on the surface as boats speed in/out of the bay. I haven't seen a person get hit, but I have witnessed two different turtles get absolutely churned up by propellers in that bay (both died). Having said this, diving around the corner (near the "clam farm") is quite good for macro, and diving along the wall to the right of the main PG beach can be excellent (depending on vis and current).

Someone else mentioned Anilao (my favorite macro destination in the world at the moment). You get there the same way as you would PG, but you don't have to take the boat transfer (so ~30-45 min closer). There are several resorts that will charge you for the boat and the guide (if you are showing up as a single diver) - just make sure you have a full picture of the cost when you book (I stay at Crystal Blue and this is never an issue, but everyone has their own favorites in the area).

In addition, Dumaguete was mentioned. I spent a week diving at Atlantis and another week spent at Atmosphere in Dumaguete earlier this spring. Atlantis was the better dive operation, Atmosphere was the better resort. All depends on what you are looking for...

The Dauin coast (south of Dumaguete) is known as the frogfish capital of the world (for good reason) however we saw an absurd number of ghost pipefish while diving there (to the point we stopped shooting images of them because we had seen so many). Having been to Bohol once previously, the regions are quite similar, with the main difference being that Dumaguete is better for macro & critters, while Bohol has (much) better coral reefs (to be fair, people don't dive the Dauin coast for the coral, they dive it for the critters). Bohol is certainly a prettier destination (beach, etc), but overall, the diving isn't quite as unique. One comment on the whale sharks - you can take a day trip to Oslob from either location (offered 1-2 times a week). This is close to guaranteed whale shark sightings, but you will be with dozens of other people in the water and many boats. If you've never been in the water with a whale shark it's worth the trip once - after that you start looking for opportunities to swim/dive with them in much more intimate settings (which is possible, if you are willing to travel off the beaten path a little bit). BTW - they also do day trips (from Dumaguete to Apo Island), which has great coral, turtles, (a few) sharks, etc. so it doesn't have to be a whole week of looking for "little stuff." It is slightly easier to get to Dumaguete than Bohol (both require a short flight from Manila).

It all depends on what your primary objective is for diving...

If I was:
An underwater photographer the order would be: Anilao, Dumaguete, PG, Bohol
Just diving to see reefs/fish the order would be: Bohol, PG, Anilao, Dumaguete
Looking for a nice (dive) resort & vacation the order would be: Bohol, Dumaguete, Anilao, PG
Focused on other (non-diving) activities the order would be: Bohol, Dumaguete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom