Can't Make up our mind....Turks or Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkscuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I started diving last year and went to Roatan....AWESOME. Got in 19 divers there in February, dove the keys in March, and dove off Akumal Beach in Mexico in December. We love diving and hope to get in 20-25 dives a year.

We are planning a trip for March. Our problem is we can't decide between getting a chance to see whales off Turks or get loads of fantastic shore diving in Bonaire. Looking for suggestions. We have accommodations picked out in both locations (including a few days on Salt Cay if we decide on Turks).

Help, can't make a decision!

Simple question - do you like big stuff (sharks, eagle/stingrays, big grouper, turtles) or small stuff (seahorses, frogfish, small eels, turtles)? For the first, it's T/C...

I believe the whale trips are snorkel only..

Whales are snorkel only, but would be amazing! Thanks for the insight. I'm leaning TC, my wife is thinking Bonaire.

I would pick TC over Bonaire - I like the big stuff but both are great - TC is more expensive and you can do more diving in Bonaire due to the shallower overall depth.....plus night dives in Bonaire are great.

Do Bonaire this year and TC next....:)

M

Considering the limited number of dives you have so far, I would opt for Bonaire where you can do unlimited shore dive with most dive ops. Quite frankly, you should be able to do, easily 20 dives or so during your week...almost a year worth of diving..:D and concentrate on the basics. The reallly big stuff will still be around for next time around.

I live and work in Grand Turk and before this I was in Utila. So I think may be able to help you. The diving is pretty similar as far as types of fish, but I see way more turtles, stingrays, and sharks here. One group even saw a hammerhead last week. There's some beautiful diving here, swim-throughs, the 7000' wall, lots of corals, etc. It's very quiet here - which makes for a nice, relaxing get-away. There's only one main road right along the beach that houses the few small hotels/guest houses and dive shops. From what I hear, we're less expensive than Provo since we don't really do the mega-resort thing here. You can easily walk from most accommodations to most of the dive shops.
I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have, please feel free to PM me.

just got back from my 2nd trip to Bonaire, and LOVED it! There is more color to the coral then last year, and it was simply amazing. I am one of those people that loves peering at the little things hiding in the coral :)

The dives are super easy - even the roughest entry we did at the north end of the island was a walk in the park. This was good for me, as I was diving with a still-splinted broken hand. Loads of stuff to see even in only about 15 feet of water. Got 22 dives in in 8 days, could have done more if I was not injured.

Like RTee said, if you're less experienced, bonaire is full of super easy shore dives (some aren't so easy - let's just put it this way - there is a reason they name sites things like "1000 steps" or have "leap" in the title). These can always be done as boat dives, which are quite reasonable and frequent on the island. We've been out with the people from Captain Don's Habitat and Buddy Dive the 2 times I've been here - they're both great to deal with.

If you're thinking about going, check out the "Bonaire Talk" forum. Lots of great info over there on places to stay, things to eat, etc.

I concur with the others. The big pelagics are the best part of T&C. Easy, simple, fun, warm diving is the draw for Bonaire.
T&C - dives are all deep. After two dives (80', then 60') in colder water, you won't be up for much more for the day. After 3 days of that, I was beat and ravenous, and just made it through my 4th day. I'm glad I didn't pay for more dives in advance. I would have cancelled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom