Cant get Mares service parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scaleman

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I own a Mares V32 first stage with Proton second stages. When testing with an IP gauge I was getting 15 lb of creep. I cleaned and replaced all o-rings. After rebuild the IP gauge quickly goes to 140 and slowly creeps to 145. The regulator has the original SCS poppet and seat, so i planned to put the new tri material poppet and seat kit in it. I cannot seem to find a source for parts. I have called northeast scuba and multiple local dealers. Northeast scuba was very helpful but no longer has these parts in stock. Mares is making these parts very hard to get a hold of to DIY divers. When I called Mares they would not even give me part numbers because I was not an authorized dealer although i was able to get part numbers online. I hate this mentality from Mares and will not be buying there product in the future. I did find a local shop that will not sell me parts but will service it for me. But this will end up being expensive by the time you add up parts labor and tax. This is very disappointing as i like to service my own regs and like to be able to do field repairs to save a dive weekend if problems occur as i carry spare parts and tools with me. Does anyone know where I can get Mares parts. The part i need is the MR/V series tri material upgrade kit part #46200705. Thanks in advance.

Can't help off the top of my head but if you have no joy let me know, I have a good relationship with a shop that sells me SP kits perhaps they can get Mares too. I imagine it'd be expensive though as most things in Japan are. But anyway offer is there. I once had a LDS refuse to sell me an SPG spool, they of course were happy to fit it for a small fee.

I have used this in an MR12. Scuba Regulator High Pressure HP Seat Part First Stage Dive A244 | eBay
Looking at Mares Schematics the MR12 and MR22 use the same poppet, the part number I have is 46200652. I don't have the schematic for the MR32, but I have heard it is a refined MR22... This seller has other poppets with their dimensions, maybe one can work.

Edit
Looked over some older schematics and they show Abis V32 poppet and MR12 poppet have been the same part number years 2000, 2001, 2002.

^ I believe Trident part A-244 should work
Go to the subforum DIY Repair Your Own Gear on here and look for the Mares discussion
You will find a metric s#$t ton of info.

Thank you for all the responses. Since I was having such a hard time tracking down parts I called a local dive shop and found a tech willing to do the work for a very reasonable price. So I took it down and my reg is working great. I however am still looking for a source of parts and will take the advice given and continue my search.

Tbar, The poppet and seat both have to be changed as the old style has a concave poppet with a flat plastic crown and the new style that mares switched to after having problems is the is more traditional poppet with rubber face and a pointed crown.

DESRAT- I will definitely look into that, that would be great.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2015 at 12:38 AM ----------

DESRAT, I just took a look at the trident catalog and that look like the right poppet, and now that I have the pointed crown I can use this poppet. Thank you.

Tbar, The poppet and seat both have to be changed as the old style has a concave poppet with a flat plastic crown and the new style that mares switched to after having problems is the is more traditional poppet with rubber face and a pointed crown.

From my schematics the MR12, MR22 and V32 all shared the same parts. There part numbers change over years. I expect they remain interchangeable.

The really old MR12 regs (mine is 1983) have the flat poppet and machined poppet seat :) The Tridant A244 works fine.

The poppet I linked is the trident A244.

I might be able to get you parts. Send the part numbers and I will go to some shops here in Rome. I cannot promise anything but am happy to try.

Sean

just as an FYI, it is not just Mares, in the US the only brands I know of that aren't restrictive of parts are Poseidon, Hog, Dive Rite, soon to be Deep 6, and that's about it. Everyone else locks them down officially. Good luck, but this is part of why Mares is hardly ever used in tech diving around here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom