can't download video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Theoretically, USB-2 can shovel more bits per second than firewire.

From a practical standpoint, does the software support it? Most mini-DV camcorders use the USB port (whether on 1 or 2) to pass still photos, and use the Firewire port to pass video.

Having a faster pipe doesn't help if the software doesn't use the pipe :wink:

Peter Guy:
On this and on another thread people have written that using USB for video "sucks." While that may be (is) true for USB 1.x, is that also true for USB 2.x? If I'm not mistaken, 2.x actually has a faster transfer rate than Firewire.

I've tried to capture from a Sony PC350 using a USB2 connection (at least it was on the PC end) and the results were awful when compared to the same footage captured via Firewire. Now of course I have no idea if the camcorder itself supported USB2, but the PC350 was released a while after it was introduced so it should have.

Overall the footage captured via USB was grainy, the framerate 'appeared' to be a lot lower with a noticable 'flicker' and the colour was way off. The footage I captured was from a low visibility dive so the differences in quality may have shown up more, but ultimately what was captured via USB was unuseable, while what was captured via Firewire worked well after editing.

Just my experience!

Cheers, Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom