Can't Catch a Break...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GameChanger

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Covid pandemic caused the cancellation of my April two-week dive trip to Cozumel. I was planning to reschedule and go in July or early August IF things got back to normal, or reasonably close to normal.

I also was also planning to do GUE Fundies when the timing was appropriate.

This past week I had to go to an Ortho doc due to extreme acute pain in my right shoulder. I noticed it after doing upper-body weight training (fly's and stuff). I am not new to weight training but for some odd reason I got hammered with almost unbearable pain after my last session. It was as if someone stabbed a knife in my shoulder.

After an MRI and consultation with my Ortho surgeon, the diagnosis is a blow-out rotator cuff and multiple tears in my labrum. I am scheduled for surgery this Thursday.

Now the bad news...
The recovery and rehab time is estimated at 4-6 months at best. That's assuming the surgeon repairs everything and I stick with physical therapy and don't reinjure the shoulder.

I guess it could be worse. I didn't get hit with Covid (that I know of...). I am grateful that I am in overall great health and in-shape for an old dude.

I am now targeting the Fall or even Winter for my next trip.

The Covid pandemic caused the cancellation of my April two-week dive trip to Cozumel. I was planning to reschedule and go in July or early August IF things got back to normal, or reasonably close to normal.

I also was also planning to do GUE Fundies when the timing was appropriate.

This past week I had to go to an Ortho doc due to extreme acute pain in my right shoulder. I noticed it after doing upper-body weight training (fly's and stuff). I am not new to weight training but for some odd reason I got hammered with almost unbearable pain after my last session. It was as if someone stabbed a knife in my shoulder.

After an MRI and consultation with my Ortho surgeon, the diagnosis is a blow-out rotator cuff and multiple tears in my labrum. I am scheduled for surgery this Thursday.

Now the bad news...
The recovery and rehab time is estimated at 4-6 months at best. That's assuming the surgeon repairs everything and I stick with physical therapy and don't reinjure the shoulder.

I guess it could be worse. I didn't get hit with Covid (that I know of...). I am grateful that I am in overall great health and in-shape for an old dude.

I am now targeting the Fall or even Winter for my next trip.
When you're diving, what do you need your arms for? :D

sorry to hear! Glad you can have surgery quickly. A return trip to the island will be great motivation for your recovery and rehab time! Prayers for your surgery, healing, and doctors and therapist helping you!

When you're diving, what do you need your arms for? :D
Don't think I didn't think about that!
I doubt I could get back in the boat with the ladder and all my gear. I literally cannot raise my arm over my head or wash my back and stuff.
I don't drink, but maybe it's time to start with those 12 oz lifts I keep hearing about...

Went through that 2 years ago. I blew mine out trying to throw a plastic tub up onto my deck to rinse my dive gear after a Cozumel trip. 4 to 6 months is a good estimate, probably closer to the 6 for full use. The good news is mine recovered 100% been diving since with no problems.

Ack - labrum tears are no fun. I tore mine a few years ago doing weird pushup variations and I'm still skittish about doing some activities.

Sounds to me like your timing is perfect (as long as you miss the virus). Take your time, rehab properly. By the time you're ready to go we might have a clue. If we get to Coz before you we'll post pics. :bounce::bounce::bounce: Take care and good luck. :)

thats terrible news for sure. the shoulders are a tricky thing. i have had issues with my right shoulder for almost 20 years. never had a major injury like yours though. take all the time you need to heal properly. when recovered, take a look online for some videos by Athlean-X. he has some pretty good detailed info on all kinds of things including shoulder work and stretches etc. he knows his stuff. just a friendly suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom