Canon Sticky - here are the bits you need!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This Sticky will be a mini-sticky like the one in the main uw photo forum but totally specific to Canon. All are welcome to contribute information and links to add to this sticky. Please PM alcina :)

A link to this Sticky has also been added to the main UW Photo Sticky goodness.

Thanks to Gilligan for this information!

The Canon WP-DC28 housing does not have the dial control on the back to correspond with the dial on the G10 camera. Therefore another method using two plungers simultaneously is required to change F stops and/or Shutter speeds when using the "M", "Av" or "Tv" modes. The housing does not not come with instructions for this.

Push plunger 5 to select between F stops, Shutter Speeds and Focusing choices.

After selecting one of the above push and hold down plunger 1 then push plunger 7 or 9 to increase or decrease the respective settings.

NOTE: If you don't hold plunger 1 down far enough the flash setting control will appear with plunger 9 and the macro control will appear for plunger 7.

WP-DC28_rear.jpg

Thanks to FLL Diver

All Canon O-Rings can be purchased directly from Canon.

Call the Canon Parts Order Desk at (732) 521-7230. It's open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm EST.

Prices are reasonable - a replacement o-ring for my WP DC-700 case is $13 plus shipping. They also sell a tube of silicon grease for a couple of dollars.

Thanks to camerasunderwater
camarasunderwater.co.uk we would be great for UK customers although we do ship all over the world, the postage may be too much for just one O-ring

Thanks to TEERLKAY for this (here's the original link)

There’s a lot of mis-information, mis-conceptions and questions about the “CHDK hack” available for many canon cameras. While I’m no expert I am a very satisfied user and I did extensive research prior to loading it. Hopefully what follows will provide some useful information. Most of it is either taken from or paraphrased from the link at the end.

For many canon owners there is a possibility to get additional functionality out of their camera.

Commonly referred to as the “CHDK HACK”, in reality CHDK is a firmware enhancement that operates on a number of Canon cameras. CHDK gets loaded into your camera's memory upon boot up (either manually or automatically). It resides on the SD card, taking up around 320k of space. It provides additional functionality beyond that currently provided by the native camera firmware. CHDK is not a permanent firmware upgrade-you decide how it is loaded (manually or automatically) and you can always easily remove it.

How does it work?
First you have to understand, it’s cost effective for Canon to have one processor serve its whole product line. Economies of scale and all that. The current processor is the DIGIC III. The previous processor was, not surprisingly, the DIGIC II. Almost all Canon cameras sold today have either the DIGIC II or III processor as their “brain (top of the line DSLRs may have two processors), with the DIGIC III phasing out the DIGIC II.

These processors are pretty impressive chips and Canon “turns off” certain features on certain cameras depending where they stand in the product line. CHDK simply “turns them back on”. CHDK can not “make” the processor do anything it wasn’t designed to do.

What enhancements? (Note-some of these may already be available on some products)
Save images in RAW format (also saves a copy of the picture in jpg)
Ability to run "Scripts" to automate the camera (ex- time lapse photography)
Live histogram (RGB, blended, luminance and for each RGB channel)
Zebra mode (blinking highlights and shadows to show over/under exposed areas)
An "always on" full range Battery indicator (you can chose percent of battery life remaining or actual volts left on batteries)
a higher compression movie mode, and double the maximum video file size
exposure times as long as 65 seconds
exposure times as little as 1/10,000 of a second
ability to use the USB port for a remote trigger input
a depth-of-field (DOF)-calculator
File browser
Text reader (with auto scrolling feature)
Calendar
Some tools and games

Cameras supported by the enhancement: a560,a570, a610, a620, a630, a640, a700, a710, s2, s3, g7, sd500, sd700. The list is growing all the time. For purely educational purposes, I loaded CHDK on my a710 and it delivered all that it promised. RAW gets all the attention but many times I find myself turning RAW off but I always use the live histogram, zebra mode, and the battery indicator is sweet! To toggle RAW on and off you must use the print button and my underwater housing does not have a button that corresponds to the print button (probably because they don’t make a housing for my printer) so you can’t toggle RAW on and off underwater, you need to set it on or off before closing the housing.

As stated above – I am a very happy user of CHDK. However, I make no claims about the validity of these enhancements. While many have used these enhancements with no problems, anyone attempting to do so should be made aware they may, in fact, be voiding their warranty by doing so.

For much more information on the subject, visit:
CHDK - CHDK Wiki

Thanks to Zeeman
Just forso the info is here - to actually be able to use the RAW files, you'll need either DNG4PS2 (DNG for Powershot 2) or RAW Therapy. I prefer to process them into DNG files with DNG2PS2, then use photoshop

Thanks to chip104
found a potentially useful thread in the CDHK subforums:

Change <ALT> button on A570

you can change the button which accesses the hack menu from being the print button to another

Thanks to CompuDude
IXUS860IS - CHDK Wiki

CHDK for Dummies - CHDK Wiki

CHDK firmware usage/AllBest - CHDK Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom