Canon s95 and Canon wp-dc38--weight needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have the camera and expect to buy the attendant Canon housing based on price. I also expect to use the internal strobe at least initially. Should I go ahead and buy the Canon weight kit? How much weight will I need to add to make the system neutral in salt water??

I was wondering the same thing. I just got the housing...Sweet! It's small with very little air space inside so I was wondering about the weight kit.

I have the camera and expect to buy the attendant Canon housing based on price. I also expect to use the internal strobe at least initially. Should I go ahead and buy the Canon weight kit? How much weight will I need to add to make the system neutral in salt water??

I've dived the A570 with Canon housing for the last 4- years & it's very (+) buoyant ---- personally(& most here are gunna disagree), I love it that way---always know where it is when I'm 'taking a rest' from shooting & have it lanyarded off to my wrist......One guy made a post here a while back that he actually lost this same setup---somehow--while on a dive, & after noticing it gone, surfaced, got to the boat, & when everyone was loaded up they started looking for it while driving around. And yep, would you belive they found it after a short search----floating on top of the water-----Do a search here & you might be able to find the thread........So................who knows.....:)

Canon suggests 2 of their weights for salt water and one for fresh. No need to buy the expensive Canon weights though, they are stainless steel so any home made weight of lead will be smaller.

Canon U.S.A. : Underwater Photography

If the setup is too much buoyant it becomes a problem to keep the camera stil. No Image Stabilizer will fix that.

The threaded hole is a 1/4 X 20 thread. Just go to the hardware store and get a stainless screw and stainless or brass washers. Be careful to select a screw length that will not bottom INTO the housing with your final washer stack height.

N

Or get a small strip of lead... Like the stuff used for flashing on roofs...
This can slip in the gap between the bottom of the camera and the housing.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but i reckon that a little squirt of silicone grease might be just enough to stick it in place (like beer mats stick to your glass when wet).

If you don't have any lead, but live in the UK, try a church roof! :wink:

... it's very (+) buoyant ---- personally(& most here are gunna disagree), I love it that way ...

Diver 85,

I'm not gonna disagree with you. If a camera gets away from you diving a 4000' wall, where would you rather look it, up on the surface or somewhere down in the abyss?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom