Canon s90 Upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcrews5508

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone know if there is an upgrde on the horizon? I would like to purchase in the next few weeks but would be willing to wait if a newer version was coming out. I have searched for news and rumors but haven't found much. Any comments will be apprecated.

There will always be new models. For diving though, it could be a downgrade. A couple of years ago, the trend was to super zoom cameras with automatic everything. They don't work very well underwater, where wide angle and limited zoom combine with manual control and RAW output to give the best results. The main features expected in newer versions will more than likely tend toward HD video stuff. Why wait?

My son attended a Canon seminar at his employer, Best Buy, and tells me that future cameras will do everything at once and entirely eliminate the need to be a skilled photographer. Of course, when cameras came out they said that painters would no longer be needed. A hundred fifty years later, they still seem to be painting portraits and still life.

Thanks Larry. Your comment really hit the nail on the head. I love this camera but would love it even more with HD video.

Anyone know if there is an upgrde on the horizon? I would like to purchase in the next few weeks but would be willing to wait if a newer version was coming out. I have searched for news and rumors but haven't found much. Any comments will be apprecated.

Sure there will be, most of this stuff is on a one year or less product cycle and the S90 should therefore be due around October--but--an upgrade for terrestrial photography could be a serious, crippling downgrade for underwater. The S90 is great because the focal length, lens and control layout are perfect for underwater use and for use---IMPORTANTLY---with nearly all wet attach accessory lenses from macro to ultrawide fisheye.

Yeah, maybe the next version will have HD video but if they put a longer zoom ratio lens on it also, kiss the wide angle and fisheye lenses good-bye. That is a crippling upgrade for example. I don't do video so don't care about HD but if Canon were to keep the camera physically identical in size, controls, lens etc and yet add HD or an even further refined sensor, great!!!!!! But given what they do in the past, I doubt it. They will simply ruin the camera. I will be buying a second S90 for backup to my housing/lens investment, unless I learn the replacement will be a drop-in.

We should start hearing more for the fall season soon. Maybe with luck they will just leave the S90 and G11 alone.

N

Back
Top Bottom