Canon s90 or Panasonic TS2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for a point and shoot camera for basic underwater photos. I am considering either the S90 and the TS2 with Ikelite housing. I realize the Canon is more of a full function camera, but I like the waterproof to 10m capability of the TS2 which would avoid having to use the heavier Iklelite case for shallow underwater use. I would appreciate opinions from anyone that has used both cameras.
Thanks in advance.

S90 has a faster lens, manual controls, RAW shooting format and accepts a wide range of wide angle lenses. The only feature which the TS2 beats the S90 is its video resolution. The TS2 has 1,280 x 720 @ 30fps, while the S90 has only VGA resolution "640x480 @ 30fps". The S90 Ikelite case is not very bulky and would be fine for any watersport, from kayaking to scuba. If your concerned about its weight you might consider purchasing the Canon OEM housing instead.

Thank you FrankPro1 for your input. You comments pretty much mirrored what my gut feeling was after reading the reviews and comments on the S90. Since I do not expect to be using the video feature very much, the only advantage of the TS2 that was appealing to me was that I did not have to deal with putting it in another case for shallow water work. However, I also realize that an improved depth housing such as the Ikelite or OEM would provide redundant protection for the TS2 which reduces the "utility" of the TS2. If I buy the Canon S90, I would prefer to be able to use the OEM housing, not just for the reduced size and weight but also because all the camera functions and use of the internal flash are not feasible using the Ikellite housing. But I am afraid of the OEM housing based on the numerous comments on Scubaboard concerning leakage and stuck buttons. I realize any housing can leak if not properly maintained, but I get the sense that there is less of an issue with leakage/sticking buttons on the Ikelite. Reducing the likelihood of ruining a $380 camera is definitely a major consideration for me. Thank you again for your comments and any others that you think would be helpful to my buying decision.
Guy

There are plenty of people on both side of the tracks when it comes to the Canon OEM housings. In the past I went with Ikelite's offerings for the very concerns you stated above. A buddy of mine owns a Canon OEM housing and while it has never flooded, the build quality is far lower then any of my Olympus OEM or Ikelite housings. Its buttons feel mushy and plastic, the housing itself is very thin and feels like it could brake easily under a heavy load. The internal flash on the Ikelite can be used to an extent while using the diffuser in place and the accessibility to the S90's functions are the same as on the OEM housing. Both the S90 OEM and Ikelite housing lack the rear control wheel. You can still adjust all settings, it just takes a few button pushes.

Thanks again for your comments. They have been invaluable to me. Do you have any thoughts on the Panasonic underwater housing for the TS2 and other Panasonic cameras? It looks like it might be better built than the Canon OEM and I just found out my daughter has a Panasonic TZ5 that I can use if I buy a Panasonic housing that runs for @$187. There is no Ikelite housing for the TZ5 so their OEM housing would be my only option if I use her camera. Since I have not done any underwater photography and am a relatively new diver (not much experience in the past 35 years), this may be a cost effective way to see what I really want or need in the way of camera equipment as I learn the basics of underwater photography skills while I refresh my diving skills. I think the Canon S90/Ikelite combination is still at the head of the list of equipment I would buy based on your previous comments and recommendations on other threads, and I do realize that I will need to have an external strobe at some poiint in order to achieve better quality underwater shots.
Thank you,
Guy

Just a heads-up but I think Panasonic announced the TS5 today.

On paper it looks to better than the s90 but it will likely be a little while before housings are out.

Just for thought.... k

Something else to consider is that if you do flood at moderate depth (say.. 50 feet), there's a good chance the TS2 will survive whereas the S90 will almost certainly die. Also you won't have to babysit as much.. i.e. if you had to open the housing for some reason it's not a big deal if some water gets on it (though you really want to keep it dry to avoid condensation fog anyway). Also if you want a camera to do other outdoors activities (surface water sports.. beach.. hiking.. camping) then I'd much prefer the TS2 (which is why I have one).

You do have more manual control with the S90 and the upper limit (technically) on what is possible is a bit higher. If you are going to be taking strobes, etc and go for a slightly more serious approach then I would say the S90 is what you want. For something to just keep clipped on a retractor I think the TS2 is a better choice. Ultimately the camera you have with you is the best.. (Why I tend to get more ineresting shots with my phone rather than my DSLR).

Back
Top Bottom