canon S90 and INON D-2000 overexposure !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two shots of tequila later and a bottle of Valium----

N :)

Nemrod, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Thank you for the comic relief and also the continued input!

Peter

Nemrod -- Thank you. When (not if) I find my images blown out, I move the strobe instead of adjust the power which is something I've never considered. Yes, the flash is forced on but I'm not using an auto mode (don't like auto mode! -- generally I'm looking for a DOF I want thus AV mode) and don't much care about shutter speed (to darn dark here anyway!).

Nemrod -- Thank you. When (not if) I find my images blown out, I move the strobe instead of adjust the power which is something I've never considered. Yes, the flash is forced on but I'm not using an auto mode (don't like auto mode! -- generally I'm looking for a DOF I want thus AV mode) and don't much care about shutter speed (to darn dark here anyway!).

Just a heads up, the sTTL mode on the D/S/Z Inon strobes require that the camera strobe be operating in an Auto mode. If your ELP-1 has Auto strobe exposure in Manual mode then you are OK, otherwise you are just fooling yourself. The sTTL mode can only operate correctly when it bootstraps the camera strobe when in Auto strobe exposure.

If the camera strobe is in a Manual mode with a "preset" power level and the Inon strobe is selected to sTTL it will fire assuming it can sync but it will do the same power pulse every shot because the camera strobe does not vary it's output.

Some cameras, dSLRs for example, have TTL in manual (auto flash exposure) the Canon P&S cameras, and all other similar cameras largely do not, your ELP-1? I have not read that in the manual?

James

Thanks for all the information. I just recently started trying to really learn manual using my A720IS and INON D-2000, so I read a lot of these post's.

In the process of selling off my C-8080 gear on EBay to fund an E-PL1 purchase (TELE lens sold today, I'm getting closer to an e-pl1). So this thread has lots of good info to reinforce what I'm learning with my cannon, and also providing info for my next UW camera setup.

James -- now I'm even more confused, sigh. I just read, and tried to understand, the EPL-1 manual relating to flash and it just got me more confused. Oh well.

Like I said, unless your ELP-1 has Auto strobe exposure in Manual mode then you are not getting functional sTTL. That would explain why you have to vary your exposure by moving the strobe back in forth. If the strobe were in sTTL and actually operating in sTTL correctly moving the strobe back would cause it to increase output and moving it closer to the subject would cause it to decrease output but the exposure that results would be very similar--within the ability of the strobe to adjust/compensate.

You say you hate Auto modes but you realize that sTTL is an Auto mode.:confused:

Look, I don't want to give you a headache like our friend Maramgi has given me :) but I did not see the reference in the ELP-1 operating manual that it had Auto strobe exposure as an option (vs Manual strobe exposure with preset power levels) when the camera is selected to Manual exposure. But since I don't have the camera to play with I am not entirely sure, please answer that for me if you can and reference the section? :blinking:

However, if you have a D2000, any camera can have Auto strobe exposure in Manual because the D2000 has a built in exposure system and utilizes it when the LH switch is selected to the green "Auto" mode. (Magnet installed if no preflash)

Your other choice is Manual camera exposure with camera in Manual strobe exposure and the D2000 also set in Manual. (Magnet installed if no preflash)

I have run all of these scenarios dry using several different cameras over and over trying every different mix of settings but of course not an ELP-1 and I know I am close to right so learn me please on the ELP-1? Thanks. Tequila at ready :wink:.

N

if: " If the strobe were in sTTL and actually operating in sTTL correctly moving the strobe back would cause it to increase output and moving it closer to the subject would cause it to decrease output but the exposure that results would be very similar " why then need to compensate the EA knob of the D-2000 while in sTTL ?

if the D-2000 has its built in exposure sensor why is there need to set sometimes the EA knob while using the D-2000 in sTTL?

if: " If the strobe were in sTTL and actually operating in sTTL correctly moving the strobe back would cause it to increase output and moving it closer to the subject would cause it to decrease output but the exposure that results would be very similar " why then need to compensate the EA knob of the D-2000 while in sTTL ?

if the D-2000 has its built in exposure sensor why is there need to set sometimes the EA knob while using the D-2000 in sTTL?

Because in sTTL mode the RH knob is the "Lighter <--------> Darker control.

The External Auto sensor only functions in the green "Auto" mode. When the LH knob is in sTTL the D2000 is mimicking the camera's strobe and biased by the RH knob for lighter or darker as I said.

It is two completely different modes. The D2000 has:

sTTL mode, low and normal -strobe boot straps camera flash
External Auto mode - strobe uses built in exposure profile and sensor
Manual mode - strobe does what you tell it to do for output

N

James -- now I'm even more confused, sigh. I just read, and tried to understand, the EPL-1 manual relating to flash and it just got me more confused. Oh well.

Peter, I have read the ELP-1 manual and I do not think it has automatic strobe exposure when the camera is in Manual exposure mode, frankly I could be wrong on this one, I have not studied the camera enough to be sure.

However, if this is the case, no auto flash exposure in Manual, you are incorrectly using the sTTL. You need to either select manual strobe and preset a power level for sync triggering or set the D2000 in Auto.

The sTTL in the D2000 requires a functioning automatic exposure system for the camera flash (auto flash exposure) and a preflash to operate correctly regardless of if the camera is in Manual, Auto, Ta, Av etc.

You should be able to do some dry experiments to ensure you are set up correctly. The strobe should vary power as you shoot different subject with different lighting and distance, you can hear it as well as see it and you should be able to turn the RH knob and see the effect as well as the camera's Auto Strobe Exposure bias working.

If the ELP-1 is set to Manual exposure control, do you have a +/- Flash exposure choice on your menu or is it only the four different power levels?

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom