Canon S80/WP-DC1 - How to add a Strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khsjsilver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Canon S80 with the Canon WP-DC1 housing. I was thinking about adding an external strobe.

I was looking at the Sealife SL961 Digital Pro Flash. It says that it is compatible with all makes of cameras. Does anyone have any experience with this type of set up? Does it really improve the pictures?

Also, does anyone have any other reasonable suggestions that I should consider? I say reasonable, since the Sealife flash is about $350. Without replacing the camera and housing, this seems pretty reasonable.

Thanks for your help!!

Ken

I have an S80 in the DC1 housing to which I've attached an Inon d2000 strobe -- although I do have a Sealife 960 "digital" strobe (a photographer friend told me NOT to buy it and he was, sigh, correct). However, IF you decide to buy the Sealife (due to price), you should have no problems using it with the S80.

The key is to make sure the optical cord is attached to the housing in the approximate area of the flash -- oh and always use the diffuser on the housing to soften the internal flash. One trick I learned with the Sealife was to cut the end of the optical cord on a bias of about 1/4 inch and then I taped the end of the cord, with the flat cut towards the internal flash.

You'll need to take some test shots to see when the S80 syncs with the Strobe -- and the best way to do that is to take pictures in the mirror. IF you can see the strobe flash, the camera has synced.

I also have the S80 & Inon D2000 strobe.
It is optically fired. You need to some additional attachments, strobe arms,base plate..
All up i would estimate $600
It does improve the results underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom