Canon S100 "underwater" mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

indigo_dc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've bought the S100 for it's RAW shooting capability so I can fix the WB after the fact if need be but was wondering - does the "underwater" mode on the S100 only apply to the camera generated JPGs? Ideally I'd shoot RAW+JPG with underwater mode on for the JPG then have the RAW available to tweak to my heart's content using the JPG as a guideline.

I know in the vast majority of cases the RAW is just a data dump direct from the sensor but didn't want to learn the hard way if for some reason the UW mode was going to impact it!

The RAW file is just that, raw, uncorrected or altered (more or less). The "underwater mode" will have no effect on the RAW file.

N

I've bought the S100 for it's RAW shooting capability so I can fix the WB after the fact if need be but was wondering - does the "underwater" mode on the S100 only apply to the camera generated JPGs? Ideally I'd shoot RAW+JPG with underwater mode on for the JPG then have the RAW available to tweak to my heart's content using the JPG as a guideline.

I know in the vast majority of cases the RAW is just a data dump direct from the sensor but didn't want to learn the hard way if for some reason the UW mode was going to impact it!

Yes, only applies to JPEG

With regard to RAW, it is not always safe to assume that "shooting RAW will save the day". If your white balance is far enough out or if you are shooting beyond the dynamic range limits of the sensor, then even RAW sometimes can't help you.

Having said that, I never cease to be amazed by what I have been able to pull out of some really bad looking images that were shot in RAW.

You need to understand there is a difference between underwater "mode" and underwater "WB". Underwater "mode" (under the SCN section) takes all creative control away from the user and does not allow RAW files. Underwater "WB" helps remove the overstated blues and enhances the understated reds and applies these to both the JPG and RAW files but in the RAW files this is easily undone by adjusting/removing the setting in the camera review mode or in Canon DPP or Lightroom software. Underwater WB is also inactive when the flash fires.

Underwater mode is useless. Underwater WB is for those who are too lazy to properly set the manual WB which provides much better photos. But ultimately in RAW format, WB at the time the photo is taken is irrelevant as it can be set to whatever you want when you post-process the photo. Using the manual WB to get the photo in the ballpark when the photo is taken however makes tuning it in post considerably easier.

Using the manual WB to get the photo in the ballpark when the photo is taken however makes tuning it in post considerably easier.

That's exactly what the plan was, many thanks

For shots with strobes you set white balance to auto for strobes in natural light you can set custom white balance so that you see the shot in the LCD as you see it with your eyes
When you take a RAW shot you can reset the white balance, one of the options is As Shot which of course requires you to set a custom white balance, however this is not needed and if you shoot RAW it does not make any difference at all how the WB was set except the 'As shot' setting will perform poorly

Back
Top Bottom