Canon Powershot D20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bottom Boy

Banned
Reaction score
I'm taking my niece diving in the Keys (she just got certified). She doesn't have a camera, and I found a used Canon D20 for $130. Is this a good camera for a beginner?

IMHO: Your concept is good, but I think she will be disappointed with the quality of pictures she can obtain with it. And she WILL flood it.

There are lots of threads here suggesting that beginners should not carry a camera until they have gained a little more under water experience and NAILED their buoyancy. You can search for those.

As a new diver she will likely be unstable in the water. This means that she will likely not be able to hold the camera still when taking a picture. So she will get blurry pictures. UNLESS she has a "low light - high speed" camera. The D20 is not such a beast (F3.9 at it's best, F4.8 zoomed).

It also is only waterproof to 30 feet - under perfect conditions. Less than perfect means it can flood at even shallower depths. Waving it around or jammin it into a bcd pocket will not be good for it.

Canon PowerShot D20: Digital Photography Review

Based upon the expected skill set of a newly minted diver, I would encourage a simple fully automatic waterproof P&S like the D20, just something more robust and useful. I have seen very good results from the Olympus TG line of cameras.

Canon D30 has superseded the D20 and is a pretty good camera

My daughter has been used mine during out Indonesia trip a couple of months ago and had excellent results

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom