Canon Powershot A520

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaag03

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have this camera and would like to get a housing and strob to start taking pictures underwater! What all would I need to purchase? I'm open for any suggestions. thanks!

I've got the same camera. I think the housing from Canon is the WP-DC60. You can still find them around for under $200. Frankly I wouldn't bother upgrading to the Ike housing for such an old camera (if they even still have it in stock).

You don't HAVE to get an external strobe at all - if the diving you're doing is very clear conditions (minimal chance of bits in the water 'backscattering' right from the flash into the lens) you can get started without one. I've shot with mine for about 2 years now and only just decided to go to a strobe, more because it's my 'training transition' before I house a bigger, newer dSLR camera.

If you do want a strobe: then $65-75 from B&H photo buys you a tray and arm (Ikelite) and if you watch around you can find an Ikelite DS50 or 51 strobe with an EV controller and arm for around $300-350 (I just scored one myself) used on ebay. New the full kit is about $425 also from B&H (still excluding tray). Or go with an all-inclusive kit like the Sea and Sea YS27DX which comes with arm and 'tray' for about $550, new....which means it works out to a bit more than the $425+75 option.

There are slightly cheaper alternatives, like Bonica for $300 or so total new, but IMO the camera is pretty old already so you'll probably want to go with a strobe set that's transferable if you upgrade to a newer camera after getting "the bug" to do UW photography. Let the housing (which will be custom to the A520) be your only 'sunk cost' you can't recover when you upgrade.

Thanks RTRski that was very helpful!

I have this camera, too :)

I use the Canon housing and it works just find. The white balance on this unit works well, so learn how to set your MWB if you aren't going to buy a strobe. The internal flash works just fine as long you are in range. I find that I have to turn the flash power down one notch or it overwhelms my subject. If I want to shoot stuff that isn't quite so close up (ie not at minimum distances, but not too far away), I simply bump the flash output up a notch - remember to turn it back down :wink:

There are quite a few choices for strobes. My personal experience and opinion is to spend a bit more on a strobe now so it will move with you when/if you change systems and you don't have to go through it again!

The Ike 50/51s are nice little units that will be a great start for you - but they may be a tad limited if you move systems and want to shoot wider stuff. They'll still work, you won't have to throw them away, but some people find they don't have quite enough for those situations. I've seen compact digitals with Ike's big gun, the 125, and it works very well. It will also move to any system you care to move to in future. Be warned, this is not the cheapest alternative and it's a big sucka!

I now use the Inons (after using Ike's, which I still have but don't use as much). They are smaller, lighter and provide excellent coverage. Buy the one that also takes a hard wired synch cord, not just a fibre optic cable and you can take the Inon with you wherever your uw photo takes you.

A good thing to keep in mind is photography is light. Expect to pay more for your strobe than for your compact camera - light it everything and it isn't the place to skimp!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom