canon or ikelite houseing for s100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don't know which is better over all canon or ikelite? I'm mostly into macro and I heard the ikelites have 67mm thread to attach wet lens? Is canon worth the buy or is it crap? Please inform me before I make a mistake on buying a lesser quality case. Any info would help out. Please post at the end what would you go for. If you own a s100 with either case please inform me.

neither are crap but the canon housing offers a wider range of lenses if you use the inon mount base with it. the ikelite is well built but is not as ergonomically friendly as the canon housing IMO. i only used the Bluewater WA-110 (Epoque DCL30) with the ike/s100 combo and it worked very well. but when i had the s100 in the canon housing and used the inon mount base with inon lenses, it was a better set up for me.

I'd go higher class, like Recsea or something. It will cost more, but it'll be easier to adjust underwater and even switch wet lenses underwater from macro/wide (once you get there).

If you're not willing to spend more money, I'd go Ikelite - it has much more options (lenses and such) and a much better track record than the Canon housing, though both are very reliable. I have an Ikelite, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I've had both. I preferred the Canon housing over the Ikelite for its size and ergonomics. That said, two Canon housings flooded while my Ikelite did not. YMMV.

I too chose the Canon over Ikelite for ergonomics (I have the Ike first and returned it). The giant port on the front of the Ikelite also made the on-board flash virtually useless (as opposed to only nearly useless on the Canon housing :D ) Of course if you plan on using a strobe this issue becomes moot. I found the buttons clunky and the video record button didn't line up very well. The two latch componnets weren't lined up very well either, though some gentle filing would have resolved that if I intended to keep it.

I haven't had a flood in either of my Canon housing

How much are inon for macro and wide lens?

The flooding happens IMHO because of poor maintenance, not because there's something wrong with the housing brand.

If you choose Ikelite, be aware that they use non-standard screw threads for the attachment of strobes, most likely, to promote sales of their own strobes. So when I bought Ikelite housing for my s90, I was not able to screw my Sea & Sea flash onto it. Moreover, I was not able to find a matching screw in Home Depot or Lowe's. I had to search the Amazon for the right ones, then I did some engineering so the screws could be used manually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom