Canon G11 Housing choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcrews5508

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Everyone,

I have just started my endeavor into underwater photography and have chose to purchase the G11 as my first camera. Now that I have moved past the first step of chosing a camera i'm on to the second, the housing. Can someone please explain to me what makes an Ikelite housing superior to a Canon Housing, looking at the price I assume the Ikelite is superior but being a beginner i dont know why. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I would get either the FIX or Patima dependent upon what lenses would be used.

N

jcrews5508,

the 400$ price difference between the Canon OEM hosuing and the Ikelite housing are mainly based on quality and mass production prices.

Canon WP-DC34 G11 Housing
+ price of 200$
+ size (slightly smaller as the Ikelite)
- problems with "sticky" buttons
- overall build quality and materials
- limited lens options
- only optical strobe possible

Ikelite G11 housing
+ build quality and materials
+ broader wet lens options
+ simple but functional and safe o-ring system
+ completely transparent to see the camera inside (and any water drops, if..)
+ optical connections
+ e-ttl conversion circuitry included to drive a Ikelite DS 51/160/161/200 in full TTL
+ Ikelite offers complete UW photography solution (arms, trays, strobes, lenses, etc)
- price
- bulkier

The Canon housing is more a snorkel and shallow dive housing while the Ikelite is a excellent quality housing made of first quality materials and Ikelite provides a good customer service. I personally would never put a 500$ camera in a 200$ "plastic" housing with plastic buttons and dials.

The Patima or Fix aluminium housings mentioned above by Nemrod are the Rolls Royce of the G11 housings, but as priced as a Rolls Royce as well (they cost almost the double as the Ikelite and six times more than the Canon). Those housings are specially for professional use and may be a financial overkill for a beginner as for the same price of the aluminium housing you get the Ikelite housinga and a strobe (what you will need).
Chris

I got the Ikelite and am very happy with it. it is slightly large and heavy but very well built and all the buttons are smooth and function well. TTL flash sold me on the increase in price, but then once you set foot on the underwater photography path price is like paying $12 for a hot dog at disney world. what else are you going to eat?:D

Back
Top Bottom