Canon G10 & DC28 Housing settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Dive4fun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have reviewed many post on this subject but I'm looking for specific settings to program into my custom options. Given two custom options, (C1, C2), what would you think the best program settings should be for macro and close pictures in low light conditions.

I just got my camera and housing. Going diving in Alaska next week. Not much time for practice before I go. I will be using internal flash and macro most of the dives. I will also be diving nights as well as day dives. This is my second camera diving, but never really mastered the settings on my last camera.

I will be buying strobes in the future, but for this trip I will not have that option. Any quick tricks? I know practice will be the key. Just want a head start.

Can't help you on the custom settings. I tend either go manual on camera when using an external strobe or Av if using no flash or internal flash.

However, the barrel of the housing will block some of the light coming from your internal flash. It's simply a limitation of using internal flash in a housing that requires a long barrel for the lens zoom. You'll have to play with the camera on land to see at which focal length you begin to notice the flash being blocked. It's easy to tell...the lower right side of your image will be underexposed/blocked from the light coming from the flash.

One technique tip I read about was to compose your subject in the upper left of your scene, take the picture using your internal flash, and later crop out the lower right portion of the image that was underexposed due to the barrel blocking the light.

This is where having 14MP of the G10 comes in handy.

You can still end up with a cropped image that has sufficient megapixels left to make a decent sized print. Maybe not the best option, but short of having an external flash I think your macro's may suffer from 'barrel block' without creative cropping.

Back
Top Bottom