Canon error 99 w/ strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Err99 is Canon's code for "other error". It is generally a camera error.

There is nothing about a DS-160 that I am aware of that would cause that.

Is it safe to assume that you do not get it with your 30D at any other time?

Did you try to attach a hotshoe flash?

Err99 is Canon's code for "other error". It is generally a camera error.

There is nothing about a DS-160 that I am aware of that would cause that.

Is it safe to assume that you do not get it with your 30D at any other time?

Did you try to attach a hotshoe flash?

It only happens with stobe attached and no I have not tried just a hotshoe flash,

It sounds like you have a connection problem. We recommend checking the pins in the hotshoe to confirm that they spring-return and are not stuck. Also make sure that the hotshoe is oriented correctly and pushed all the way into the camera's hotshoe.

If you have confirmed all of the connections to the best of your ability, then there may be a problem with the sync cord or circuit. I would recommend sending the housing back, cord and strobe head in for testing of the system and necessary repair.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

So, I narrowed it down to an error in the strobe, sync cord or circuit board (in back of housing). Ikelite advised me to ship strobe, cord and back of housing to them. I was about to do it when the person who I bought the strobe from sent me this link:

IKELITE Underwater Systems circuit test

He explained how I could short the strobe at different positions to see if the strobe fires correctly or if the sync cord was not working. If these were both fine it would probably be the circuit board and to just send it in. It ended up to be the strobe which would not even fire at all. He just mailed me a new strobe and it works fine.

If anyone have a similar problem I highly recommend the link above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom