Canon EOS R for underwater photography - Opinions ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everything that I have heard about the EOS R is that it is a great camera.

IMHO, there are some things that you "Get what you pay for". I believe underwater camera housings fall into that category, so I would tend to stick with housing such as Nauticam or Aquatica if I did take it underwater. Having said that, no matter how meticulous you are with your housing and its o-rings, sometimes things happen. Do not take any camera underwater that you are not willing to risk having it destroyed by flooding. It may never happen, but it could also possibly happen on the next dive.

As good as the EOS R is, you have to ask yourself if you are willing to put it in a housing and potentially at risk.

The camera is basically an accessory for the housing - a small percentage of the total cost of a good UW photo rig (about 10K with strobes, lenses and dome ports). I wouldn't worry too much about a flood or you will never get in the water with your camera, and modern housings with vacuum seal alerts are pretty reliable. As @Hoag pointed out, a good quality housing is the way to go if you are going to be using a high end camera, and there isn't much point in all of that without two good strobes as well.

H2O flood insurance is a good idea, since it also will cover you for theft (as I found out when someone swiped my rig off of a picnic table when my buddy's back was turned for a few seconds!).

All that having been said, the camera itself is probably one of the least important factors in the quality of your photos....! :)

UW_photos.jpg

@doctormike IIRC (and there is a good chance I am wrong), I believe that H2O Flood Insurance is available only if you live in the USA.

H2O is only for US (and excludes Alaska and South Dakota for unknown reasons). They are great but a bit expensive. They cover theft (with a police report) but not loss either underwater or off the side of the boat.
Cheers
Bill

Back
Top Bottom