Canon Elph 230

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Jan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Canon Elph 230 that I take diving with me. Does anyone have tips on when to use the flash and when not to use the flash? My housing has a diffuser on it, but...sometimes my pics look over exposed.

Any info would be most helpful.

I don't have a Canon but on my Sony I found I had to use the lowest flash setting power not to overexpose. One thing I do know always have the flash On underwater, there are very few times that you will not need it. Having it on when the subject is to far away will cause more backscatter, but this can be removed in Photoshop.

Diver_Jan:
Hello,

I have a Canon Elph 230 that I take diving with me. Does anyone have tips on when to use the flash and when not to use the flash? My housing has a diffuser on it, but...sometimes my pics look over exposed.

Any info would be most helpful.
As Cecil says, I leave the flash on. If I don't, the pictures usually come out of focus because the shutter speed is too slow without flash. With my stylus I sometimes just cover the flash with my free hand...that way I don't have to switch it on and off all the time. If I do get any back scatter I remove it with PS elements...
aloha, Lisa

Diver_Jan,
Does your camera have manual settings as in F stop and shutter speed? If so, try using those. It will allow you to control the amount of exposure both with and without the strobe.
Depending on the strength of the internal strobe, it's max distance is around 3 feet. Closer is better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom