Canon camera Ikelite Housing Sea & Sea Strobe workable ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lyndon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Im currently leaning towards buying a

= Canon Powershot A710 IS due to a nice 6x optical zoom....

= Ikelite housing (dont recommend Canon housings having lost 2 to flooding in Sharm)

= Sea & Sea YS-15 Auto strobe. (YS-25 if you say the YS-15 is not a good strobe)

Will this work for a hobbyist photographer like me ?

Is there any other combo ?

My budget is less than $1000 US due to the above losses mentioned :(

Can you give me your opinion ?

Appreciate it.

Lyndon

I was pondering abt the same issues. I believe it does not work, i checked with Ikelite, and the camera housing has no tripod mount, and i belive you need that for the tray of the other strobes. Alternatively, you could get the Ikelite tray and handle and strobe, which i belive is much more expensive.

Im leaning towards the Canon PowerShot 800 IS with the Canon housing, and prolly a SeaLife or a Bonica strobe.

Quick question. I had a Canon housing for a while, until i lost it (landyard slipped out of my wrist and yeah, being neutrally buoyant, it floated off to oblivion. sigh) and it worked alrite. What made your Canon housing flood?

beats me...I thought the first flood was my carelessness....

if I knew what made it flood i wouldnt have used a canon housing again and flooded a second camera :(

While there is not a centered tripod mount in the bottom of the ikelite housing, there are actualy 2 (one on each side of center). this makes for a more stable mount to the base tray. I belive it could also be mounted to the fantasea line of trays easily too.

This was taken with the a640, in ikelite housing, ambient light only.
IMG_0555.JPG

this one, using 2 ikelite ss200 strobes.
IMG_0508.JPG

both using an Inon 105 wide angle lens

I'll take a pic of it when I get home tonight, its got 2 captured nuts on the bottom, 1/4-20 I think, that you use to attach to the ike tray, if you used the right length bolts, you could attach it to any tray.

you dont want too long a bolt, or it would press against the bottom of the housing, and wear the tabs that hold the captured nut, or crack the housing.

if the tray you want to attach it to didnt have holes in the right place for it to be centered... just drill new ones :)

ok, here's the photos

bottom
P1000566-s.jpg

bottom, attached to double ike tray
P1000565-s.jpg

how I set it up, with 2 slave sensors, 1.25" arm connections lead to the strobes
P1000564-s.jpg

Ikelite(a640) housing vs Canon (s70 Housing) size comparison
P1000213-s.jpg

and gratuitous cave photo, taken with a640, ikelite strobes
grande-09.JPG

azcaddman:
...and gratuitous cave photo, taken with a640, ikelite strobes
grande-09.JPG

Sweeeet!
Thanks,
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/