Canon A720IS Photos from Sipadan Island (Part 5)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking at these just make we wish I was there and not here in San Diego :)

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

Just bought the same camera, but now you have given me a reason to play with it.

This is one of the cameras I'm looking at purchasing so I have a few questions, Rickg...

Did you do any clean-up in Photoshop?

Did you use the flash for any of the pics?

Did you use the white balance feature?

Anything else you'd like to share would be most helpful. :) (Love the clown triggerfish, BTW. I saw one at Apo Island last month but the viz was nothing like yours unfortunately.)

Love the nudi and the froggie together!! Did you see them both while you were under?

alcina,

Thanks again for the support. I have to admit that I was so focused on the little froggie that I didn't even notice the nudi :)

I've considered rotating the picture so the froggie is vertical but decided to leave it "au naturel" for the time being.

This is one of the cameras I'm looking at purchasing so I have a few questions, Rickg...

Did you do any clean-up in Photoshop?

Did you use the flash for any of the pics?

Did you use the white balance feature?

Anything else you'd like to share would be most helpful. :) (Love the clown triggerfish, BTW. I saw one at Apo Island last month but the viz was nothing like yours unfortunately.)

annasea,

I did not use Photoshop - mainly because I don't own it yet :) I did use some of the basic functions available with Picasa2 like "Crop, I'm Feeling Lucky, White Balance, etc" for some of the shots but that was it. Would like to get proficient using GIMP but need to find the time to concentrate on it.

All shots were either natural light or the internal strobe.

I did not use the Manual White Balance function - but not for lack of trying. I just couldn't get it to work while on the trip and when I got back and went to Canon's website the directions on the website for setting MWB were different than what was in manual that came with the camera. My rule of thumb was to use the "Cloudy" WB setting below 10m or so and the "Sunny" WB setting above 10m or so but that varied somewhat depending upon the time of day and the visibility. I did not use the U/W WB much at all.

Here is a link to my first experience using this camera U/W. Of course I did exactly what you aren't supposed to do and got my camera only several days before we left on our trip so I had to learn the buttonology on the fly which resulted me in missing more pictues than I care to admit.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...on-a720is-photos-sipadan-island-part-1-a.html

Also, if you click on the PicasaWeb link in my signature line you can see all of the pictures (including some that I shouldn't have uploaded in the first place) from our Sipadan trip which was my first experience with digital. Only the Sipadan pictures were taken with my digital camera - the other pictures on the site were taken with a S&S MotorMarine I film camera. And the PhotoBucket link will get you to some videos that I shot with the A720IS. I was amazed at the video I got with that little P&S camera.

Also, a very good place to find some great tips and info is this link to Alcina's tips about U/W photography. That is where I started my quest of info.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...tting-started-dslr-maybe-look-here-first.html

The Canon A570IS is another great little P&S camera that you might want to consider if you haven't already.

Good luck with your quest.

Just bought the same camera, but now you have given me a reason to play with it.

Misty58,

I don't think you will be disappointed. They are wonderful little cameras and the ability to immediately review you picture allows for you to compensate then and there to get a better picture - assuming of course your subject has swam off :)

Cool pics Rick - especially the Frogfish and the Hawkfish !

AndyT,

Thanks. I hope to have a strobe by the time I go on my next trip. Then maybe I can get rid of some of the backscatter.

AndyT,

Thanks. I hope to have a strobe by the time I go on my next trip. Then maybe I can get rid of some of the backscatter.

Really like this picture, took some backscatter out for you, hope you don't mind.
IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0711ph.jpg

Back
Top Bottom