Canon A590 IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I've seen one of these come through yet, but I have seen some land shots from this camera and WOW. I was very stunned when I found out what camera it was - the detail was impressive, I have to say.

I don't think I've seen one of these come through yet, but I have seen some land shots from this camera and WOW. I was very stunned when I found out what camera it was - the detail was impressive, I have to say.

Thanks

Canon seems to have stopped making UW casings (or they are just unavailable now here, I dunno). But I think Ikelite makes one for about every models.

I bought the Cannon A720, which is a very similar camera to the A590. I put some pictures up in my gallery, so you can see some examples of the results.

I love the camera! The only negative, for me, is a slow recharge speed on the flash.

I did my U/W photographer course on the A590 (with an Ikelite case) and I was pretty impressed, although obviously I have no baseline. I was amazed how good my shots came out as a rank amateur.

I looked into buying one (still may), and although Canon do sell a case (and it is much cheaper than the Ikelite case), you do lose some functionality.

I've used an older version (A570) in a canon housing. I found it best for close-up shots since the small flash didn't extend far into the slightly mirky water I tend to dive. I'd sujest to keep an eye out for the firmware hack that allows RAW if this version doesn't have a RAW file option. After that I'd get a strobe. One of the hardest things to do with these little digicams is to get the white balance good and a strobe will help.

While this series has an underwater mode, I personally will not use it. There will be shifts in white balance (WB) with depth that the camera will not correct for and may be hard to fix later. I always use the custom white balance on a white slate (or a pair of white fins one dive buddy has). I'll set the WB every 10-20 feet of depth so that it will be close to what I want. It makes it easier to fix the small corrections later on the computer.

Canon sells a case for that one? I tought they had stopped making cases!
Yeah, I don't think Canon sells a case for the 590 IS. I've been searching for it all over the place. And I doubt the 570 case will be compatible since the cursor is really different between the two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom