canon A series

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishbio101

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone own a canon A620 or an A 630? i am looking into buying one or he other but am not sure of the qualiy of the pictures U/W will turn out to be. please put in your suggestions.:confused:

Fishbio101

I'm very happy with this camera and I just use the Canon housing and no strobe. I may get a strobe this year, but even without the strobe, I think the camera takes pretty good pictures.

You can see some of my pics on my fotki sight. It's in my signature line.

--Sioux

I use the A620 and the Canon UW housing. I am very impressed at the picture quality for a digital compact. I also love the fact I can do 4-5 hours of diving in a day without changing the batteries (approx 150 to 200 pictures). You can check out our website http://www.sarasea.net/diving.htm to see how the pictures turned out (everything from Pompano Beach (Nov. 2005) to now has been shot on that camera).

I do not have a strobe but just use the internal flash if doing some night shots.

and, if you use the firmware 'hack' for it, you get RAW, live histogram, battery monitor etc. (works on my a640 also, see the link below for photos with it/inon w/a lens, ikelite ss200 strobes)

Azcaddman, I've recently got an A640. Seeing the bit on the frimware "hack" has got my ears pricked up like a pitt bull after having them clipped.

Where can I get hold of it or find out more??

Cheers

start here

I'm playing with the GrAnd's versions. Read the faq, then the firmware useage. even if you don't end up using the raw, you can benefit from the battery meters, the live histogram, etc.

these are NOT permanent hacks to the firmware, they load up every time you turn the camera on.. if you get tired of them, or don't want them.. delete, no harm done to camera.

azcaddman:
start here

I'm playing with the GrAnd's versions. Read the faq, then the firmware useage. even if you don't end up using the raw, you can benefit from the battery meters, the live histogram, etc.

these are NOT permanent hacks to the firmware, they load up every time you turn the camera on.. if you get tired of them, or don't want them.. delete, no harm done to camera.

This is sweet! I just got an A710IS (recently flooded my A520 :11doh: ) and was wishing it had RAW mode. I love the Canon products but it seems like you have to spend a fortune to get RAW mode. Got this hack running in just a few mins and it works great!

As azcaddman stated, the best thing is it is no risk to try it as it doesn't overwrite the firmware on the card so you won't end up with a paperweight (already have one, see comment about A520 above).

RAW mode works very well and I like some of the other options it gives you.

Thanks again!!!

If you go with the A620, B&H Photo has a close out on the A610/A620 Ikelite housing for $250. This housing is much better then the Cannon one and is rated to 200'

Back
Top Bottom